Transmission Additive

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by FoMoCo1, Jan 11, 2012.

1. FoMoCo1

FoMoCo1 New Member

I'm in the process of replacing the clutch set & slave cylinder/throwout bearing combination in a '93 Ranger with a M5R1 5speed transmission.

I'm going back with the factory recommended Motorcraft Mercon V ATF.

Does anyone know if Lucas transmission additive would hurt anything added to the ATF, I'm looking at making the oil slicker in addition to leaving a Teflon coating on everything for extra protection from wear?

It may make it harder to shift also?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Any Lucas product I've used works amazing, including the transmission fluid addative.

4. OP
    FoMoCo1

FoMoCo1 New Member

Does it seem to make the transmission harder to shift because of the thickness of the mix?

5. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

No, if anything, easier. Only reason it's thicker is so the lubricant sticks to everything. Works extremely well. One quart will not make a difference in shifting.

6. OP
    FoMoCo1

FoMoCo1 New Member

That stands to reason. I appreciate your help and input.

7. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

if anything else the lucas will thin a little bit when it mixes with the atf...