Transfer case DEATH WHINE?

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by seriouscoin1, Mar 24, 2013.

1. seriouscoin1

seriouscoin1 New Member

Hey guys, been awhile! I have a question. I noticed a leak a little while back from the axle seal, where it goes into the transfer case. Very minimal (so I thought). Figured I had some time to fix it. Lately, when I put the truck in 4WD I get a whine when letting off the gas. Seems to be coming from the transfer case. I have read a little about this. Some say its just low on fluid and I should be okay. I have stopped using the 4WD to avoid ruining it. Do you think I will be okay fixing the seal, and filling the lost fluid? Or am I screwed? unsure:

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 06FordFX4

06FordFX4 Canadian Redneck

I'd say fix it, and fill it then go from there. See if it still makes the sound or not.

4. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

^ This. There are 3 roller bearings, 2 needle bearings, and one bronze bushing in your t-case. Any one of those 6 could be failing. I would definitely fix the seal and refill your fluid tho and see what it does. Get on cobratransmission.com for your seal kit. A complete seal kit will run you $6.99 + shipping