trail worthy 85 q's

Discussion in '1983 - 1988 Ford Ranger' started by vanridgerunner, Jun 11, 2009.

1. vanridgerunner

vanridgerunner New Member

I purchased a 85 2.8 V6 4x4 auto for `175 runs decent. i want a midly built trail rig.1-how much lift do i need for 31x10.50x15 2-i want to run 6 off road lights and am looking to up grade the alternator to handle it what other alternators will bolt in that have a higher out put 3- i want to swap out the rear end for an 8.8 with disc brakes what vehicles had that rear end in them and would i need the master cyclinder to swap from drum to disc any info on this build up would be helpfull

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. WesternPaRanger

WesternPaRanger New Member

1) Will this be a trail rig only? If so you can trim the hell out of the fenders and bed to clear 31's. If not, a 2-3 inch body lift will do the trick (not a fan but cheapest way to go) and you wont need to get the drop kit for the front to keep the wheels from pointing in which is what happens when you lift a Ranger.

2) depending on the output of the lights you may not need a bigger alt.

3) If you're only looking for the disk brake capability you can simply put the 8.8 axles into a 7.5. I've raced both 7.5's and 8.8's and have never broken either and that's putting around 400 hp to them.

4. OP
    vanridgerunner

vanridgerunner New Member

i am not a fan of B/L either and was wanting to go S/L and i wont cut the fenders this is NOT going to be a trail rig only it will ba a combo of outdoor truck/daily driver about the alternator on top of the lights i also have warn 9000 lbs winch on the front with a optima red top and dont want to over tax the alternator in a worse case scenirio all lights on and winching out more power is always good do you know what the amp out put is when i swap to the disc will i need to change any hard lines on the axle or master cylinder