Tomorrows The Big Day!

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by El Camino Man, Feb 20, 2012.

1. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Hey guys! I picked up an OHC yesterday at a pull-a-part for a budget bustin $2! I was pumped! :yes: Iv decided tomorrows gonna be the big day. Im gonna install it! Is there any advise on what to do and what not do? Thnks guys!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Yea there was a writeup on this just submitted. Follow that and you'll be fine

4. It's really easy. For the temp sensor wires, feed them through the grommet in the firewall from the inside out, before you put the sensor on the other end of the wires. Oh, and def take the headliner out. Made it so much easier to route the wires around without it.

5. OP
    El Camino Man

Thanks Pete. Well im in the middle of it now so ill have pics up in a few hours

6. Dcrymes99ranger

Dcrymes99ranger Riding low and broke!!!

Just take your time bro you'll do fine!!!!

7. This. I used a how-to off of trs for the wiring, since my illiteracy gets in the way with pictures haha. Took me two days to plan it all out and actually wire it in

8. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Hell I never plan my stuff I just say ill do it on this day and start going to work most of the time I run into issues, but I make things work

9. OP
    El Camino Man

Im having issues!!! None of my wires behind my radio are the same color as my OHC wires! WTF??!!

10. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

[​IMG]

cross reference to OHC wiring to make sure they're the same

11. OP
    El Camino Man

Hmm Im still a little confused lol. Iv got my radio completely out. The only thing still plugged in is my (im assuming) antennae. Its a big thick orange wire that says Made In Mexico lol. And beside my radio is, what sorta looks like, a PCM or something similar... Its a black box! It looks similar to the one Clinton did.

The 3 wires I need are: Gray w/ Black, Gray w/ Yellow, and Blue w/ Red. I cant find ANY of em back there! I dont even see grey wires!

12. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

grey=black = vehicle speed input
    grey/yellow = power
    blue/red = illumination

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS): The Gray with Black stripe wire (Pin #4) controls how increases in temperature are processed. This keeps the engine heat from causing artificial spikes in temperature. Basically, the console does not allow the temperature to increase unless it sees the truck in motion for a while to make sure the engine heat has been dispersed. If you don't hook up this wire, your console will appear to freeze its temperature display and not show temperature changes.

[​IMG]

The black box in the photo is the GEM (Generic Electronic Module) inside the dash just to the left of the factory radio. I tapped in to the Gray Wire with Black stripe coming from the bottom of the GEM and connected it to the Gray Wire with Black stripe in the consoles harness.
    If you have a newer generation Ranger, you probably have two connectors on the bottom of your GEM. One is black and one is gray. You want the wire coming from the black connector closest to you on the bottom.

13. OP
    El Camino Man

[​IMG]

Heres where Im at

14. OP
    El Camino Man

In the PCM thingy wires, there is no gray wires. Iv looked... Did they change the colors in 2011 lol

15. Check behind the entire nest. That's where mine was, in the middle of all the wires lol

16. OP
    El Camino Man

Iv got a big gob of wires under my dash. I found a few of the wires? Would this be it?

17. Pic? Text me, I can help ya out. 5705748970

18. OP
    El Camino Man

Ill send it to ya. I texted ya

19. Does it look like this? [​IMG]

20. Okay, phone died... Pin #3, goes to the yellow w/ black striped wire behind the radio, or if not that color, then black/pink