things to bring when looking at a used car.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mcdonald58, Mar 14, 2013.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

well as most of you know i sold my ranger last night and am looking for a jeep to replace it with. im looking for peoples opinions of what i should bring when i look at a new car and things to check. here's what i have so far.
    tire depth gauge
    flashlight
    rag
    paper towels
    a helper
    measuring tape

and things to check:
    all fluids
    do a bounce test to see if the shocks are good
    tires
    underbody
    check for wetness around master cylinder, tranny pan, oil pan

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

Check to see if all the wheel studs are there make sure none are broken

4. Diablo

Diablo New Member

bring an ultra gauge or scan gauge hook up to the obdII connector

5. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

Yea I wish I had one. I could use it ill probably get a ultra gauge for the jeep.

6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

a floor jack so you can get under it easy, and a large peice of cardboard so you've got something to lay on. check it throughly for rust and fluid leaks, listen for any ticks or knocks while it's running and try to find where they are coming from, take it for a drive and make sure the trans shifts well, make sure the 4x4 engages properly, see if the owner has any service records & recipts for you to look over ( every vehicle i've had has had a "rebuilt" engine, according to the owner. without paperwork that dosin't mean squat!). also check the engine compartment and up under the dash for any hacked up wireing jobs and ask what it may have been for, you don't want to burn up driving home!

7. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

ive been bringing a flashlight and a rag with me. ive found some problems already and have looked at 2 jeeps so far. still no look. jeeps are high enough off the ground that i dont need a floor jack to get under them.

8. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

maybe a magnet, I know it's weird but its easy to see if a lot of bondo was used if the magnet doesnt stick.

9. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Check the brake rotors for thickness & wear too. Nothing worse than getting a new vehicle that needs a brake job right away.

Check the wiring under hood & all the hoses & belts.

One tip my uncle gave me was to look around the seat bolts for rust. If there's a lot of rust there you may be looking at a vehicle that wasn't taken care of (cleaning) or worse... that's rusted through :huh:

10. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

Well considering that at the end of the year I won't have the school shop to use I will most likely just do brakes even if the car dosent need then right away while I have the resources to do it by myself. Than I wouldn't have to worry for 60k