testing cb radio

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mcdonald58, Apr 27, 2013.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

my brother gave me his old cb radio but he is not sure if it works. i want to test it to make sure it works before i make a bracket and wire it up. whats the easiest way to do this?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

Take the cb out to the truck and hook it straight to the battery and test that way is the way I would do it then if it works run your coax the way you want and mount it up.

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

im not sure which wire is positive and which is negative. i have a red, orange, and black wire running off it. i know that black is ground not sure about the other two. would i do any damage to the jeep if i tested them the wrong way.

5. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

red should be + and orange should be illumination....

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

so do i only need to hook up the positive, and black wire. what should i do with the orange wire?

7. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

just lay it to the side for the test and if the cb is good then you can hook it into the dashlights so you can control the brightness of the lights with the rest of the lights...

8. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Make sure to use either an antenna and coax or a 50 ohm dummy load.

Running the radio for any length of time without an antenna can burn up the radio.

9. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

10. Diablo

Diablo New Member

11. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yea i plan on getting a 6" heavy duty spring and a quick disconnect so i can take it off when i need to go through a parking garage or something.

12. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

You want as much antenna above the roof as possible.
    Most fiberglass antennas are top loaded BUT you want the most above the roof.

If you go to Rat Shaq and buy a Dummy Load you can hook up the meter and dummy load with a short length of coax.
    That way you will see if there is output and what the wattage might be and then there is not worry if the antenna is out of tune.

Dummy Loads are cheap, they are just a VHF Connector with a 50 ohm resistor inside.

Luck