Temperature Gauge Malfunction

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Driver38, May 13, 2012.

1. Driver38

Driver38 New Member

I have a 2011 XLT Extended Cab with a 2.3L 4 cylinder. The truck is great. In under a year I put over 120,000 miles on it. I drive for a local courier and we really work our vehicles.

Anyway, about a month ago the temperature gauge started malfunctioning, even though the truck is NOT over heating. The gauge would increase past the "H" and then the temperature light would come on. Because the truck thinks it's overheating -- the engine goes into a "safe mode" -- and runs with no power. When I shut the motor off and turn it back on temperature gauge resets and the truck runs fine for about another 50 or 100 miles and then the temperature gauge malfunctions again.

Why is it doing this?

I took it to the dealer here in Columbus, Ohio and the mechanic installed a new thermostat and a new "control modulator" (a $700+ part -- not really sure what it is called) but still the truck is doing the same thing. The mechanic still does not know why the truck is acting like this -- has anyone else experienced this problem?

Louie Basilone
    LB