Starting issues

Discussion in '4.0 Engine' started by Redneck_ranger, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Lately I've noticed that my truck's been having a hard time starting, especially in the cold. Today I went to start my truck when it was 17* out, and all I heard was the starter cranking, but the engine didn't do a thing. Literally, it sat there and didn't even turn over once. Then after trying it a few times, I heard a loud clunk, and it turned over a couple times. After that, I cranked it over and it started up after attempting to crank a few seconds. Now before you get on my about the mud, it's been doing things like this for a few weeks now, but today was the worst it has ever done it, to the point I thought my brand new battery died already. So I'm almost positive it's the starter on it's way out. Anyone wanna second my opinion?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. greenmachine2000

greenmachine2000 New Member

ill second it pete if you try to turn it and you get clicking or clunk its not the battery, any battery issue wouldnt do that. try getting under the truck and banging lightly on the starter with a rachet.

4. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

It wasn't even a clicking. It was just a buzz from the starter. And I got it started. It's probably got something to do with sinking up over my wheels yesterday though. And now that it's warmed up, it starts fine. Looks like a junk yard run for me soon.

5. greenmachine2000

i think you got that right my starter acts funny sometimes, like if its cold it cranks a few more times than normal, and if i use the remote start and forget to turn the key and i hit the brake it shuts truck off, but if i try to restart it really quick after than i get a loud clunk and shutter from starter, idk what causes it but i try to avoid it.

6. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Yeah, mine sometimes takes a long time to start in the morning, almost like a diesel does. But it also does it on the Dakota too, so I'm leaning more towards that just being a tademark of starting it in the cold.

7. greenmachine2000

i just use my auto start most the time, and it usually starts fine that way cold or not, i got a block heater i dont need if your interested.

8. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Hmmmm. That would be nice, but I have nowhere to plug it into. Lmao. How would I even install it?

9. greenmachine2000

its simple, there is a freeze plug you knock out, slide this in tighten it and your set.

10. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Huh... Easy enough. I'll definitely consider it, but right now I'm flat broke. I'll see if it still gives me problems first though

11. greenmachine2000

just let me know, we talk enough lol and its just sitting in my tool box.

12. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Alright buddy, thanks

13. greenmachine2000

no problem man, its gets colder there than here, and about your starter it might be a solenoid that went berserk.

14. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Maybe. Keep in mind, it was sumberged for about an hour... So yeah. Haha

15. greenmachine2000

might be a problem when its gets warm i have to do a lights off tire off bed off frame cleaning, i got mud all over.

16. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Yeah, last time I'm going in mud that's deeper than the tires on purpose...

17. greenmachine2000

well i stay away from mud now, from changing diff fluid to washing 3 times, to getting under truck and get a face full of dirt fall off something, ill keep it on the streets.

18. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned