starting issue

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by Jmdvdsn, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Jmdvdsn

Jmdvdsn New Member

I have a 1992 ranger 3.0, the problem i have...it starts, drives awhile then dies, at this point in won't start. It just cranks and cranks. I left it there and after about 4 hours it started and i drove it home. It ran for a week no problems. It did it again(stalled at the exact place in town as before) I had to have it towed home. Next day it starts right up, i turned it off to move another vehical, so i went out a few mins later no start. I replaced the cap, rotor, coil. I'm gonna get a new fuel filter today. This truck was driven only a few times a year, until we got it. we drove it a few times until my daughter got her license. we just put a 2nd tank of gas in it, and maybe kick some sediment up??? My next route is Ignition Control Module.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. stdyhand

stdyhand New Member

Do you have a check engine light on? If so you need to pull the codes. If there are no codes, you might start by checking all grounds including the one to the ICM. I would also check your fuel pressure, compression, and clean your IAC and MAF simply because these things are simple to do and don't take much time. I would also check the spark plugs. I had bad plugs in a 2.3l years ago and sometime it would start, sometimes it wouldn't. First thing though is you need to find out what codes/if any that you got.