Speaker size, radio output

Discussion in 'Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation' started by Corksailor, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Corksailor

Corksailor New Member

I did some searching on the forum for this, but no clear answers.

Have 2007 Sport model, probably normal interior for that, CD radio w/mp3. Looking to replace speakers with something better... are the speakers likely 6 1/2"? Another user inquired about the watt/channel output of this standard Radio/CD, but got no replies. Anyone know the likely output per channel of the stock radios?

And I should add for additional info.... are the stock speakers 4 ohm?

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

i think your right they are 6 1/2 but i want to say that sum are 6x9 as well. i got new speakers last spring and they arnt bad they are 6 ohm sony's with a sony head.

4. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

6x8 is the speaker size

5. OP
    Corksailor

Corksailor New Member

Took the door panel off this morning, to check things out. As Klinger86 said, the speakers in my Ranger are 6 X 8" ovals. They are marked as 4 ohm, made in Mexico, and rated as 25 watts. Nothing special, of course. "Whizzer cone", which is largely useless.

BTW, perhaps more useful for some of you are the instructions for taking the panel off.... like taking a lot of things apart, sometimes when you have things apart, you find out how it should have come apart, a little late for the various things you broke on the way. Here is the scoop on the door panels, for those who are not familiar, but might like to take one off for access to speakers or other purposes.

The window crank (don't have power windows) has a plastic over-cap that releases with a careful pry of a screwdriver or similar approach (not a big prob). Take out the Torx screw holding the handle in place, and wiggle the handle off. Locate a Philips screw at the lower left corner of the door panel (driver's door) and remove that. Take out the Philips screw pointing down in the door handle/armrest. THEN, the panel slides UP to remove it--- main issue here, as some pull straight off, which will only break the plastic fingers that hold it in place. Shove UP on the panel for about an inch, and the holding fingers should be released and the panel will remove. 8^D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

You can do 6 1/2's, 6x8's or 6x9's in your truck, the stock radio will push them well, but wont give them thier full potential. It will be loud though cause I did the same thing and I had to crank it all the way but it was alot louder than stock