scratch removant suggestion

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by rango88, Jan 21, 2012.

1. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

Well I got a foot long scratch right behind the rear wheel on the passenger side (its a white scratch so it should come off) I was wondering whats a coold scratch removant that could remove this scratch without waxing or buffing ( i dont mind using elbow grease [​IMG]. I know turtle wax and meguiars has some rubbing compound for scratches so I was wondering what you guys would suggestion.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. I use Turtle Wax Rubbing compound, the expensive one, and it takes 96% of all my scrathces out. And I get a ton of them thanks to the woods.

4. OP
    rango88

sweet what method do you use?

5. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i use just the normal rubbing compound for what you are suggesting is paint transfer or is it dug into the paint? and i use the same technique you use when waxing....

6. OP
    rango88

its not really paint transfer since it was just a 1" unpainted metal post its more of a scruff mark

7. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

then u may have to touchup paint the area.... if u can snap a couple of pics and post them...

8. OP
    rango88

I tried rubbing the surface with my finger while applying pressure and some of it has come off. I am hoping rubbing compound and a good wax will fix it.

9. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Use and orbital buffer and Meguiars ultimate compund and add a little elbow grease. It will come off, then throw a coat of wax over it. Trust me on this one man...it works

10. OP
    rango88

thanks guys, once the weather warms out I'll get the truck detailed and wax so hopefully that will help out the scratch as well :)

11. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Cool, most scratches are paint transfers, so elbow grease always helps! I wish you were closer I would do it up for ya!

12. OP
    rango88

Thanks Clinton :). I have dealt with scratches and scuffs before but never on a delicate colour like black (everything shows on it) so i'd hate to screw it up so I will get it done professionally :)

13. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I owned my own detailing business, so save the money for a PA trip and you can do it!! When you're ready, I will walk ya through it

14. OP
    rango88

Sweet man :) I'll wait till the weather is in my favor before I tackled this

15. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

good deal, the cooler weather is good for black paint...just not too cold!

16. joshyddog

joshyddog New Member

Hey i got some scratches too but thir not deep just the clear coat. Can some one give me some links for some stuff to fix this!! Should i get a buffer? Im just new to all detailing stuff lololol.

17. I have a cheap orbital buffer to use on it, but the first time I got an applicator pad and rubbed it on that way. Sounds dirty when I say it like that lol But it took all the scratches out of my Dakota no problem. And there were a ton from the woods. A few applications and I was good, even for deep ones.