RPM's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eddie Finch, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Eddie Finch

Eddie Finch New Member

2004 Ford Ranger Edge 2wd,has 3.0 automatic, 4:10 limited slip rear gears tachs 2800 RPM @ 70 MPH, Is that normal or just mine?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

That is pretty good..

4. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

What size tires are you're running on it right now and what's the OD ratio of the transmission?

5. OP
    Eddie Finch

Eddie Finch New Member

31/10.50/15

6. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Thanks Eddie.
    Since you failed to tell me, I had to search out the high gear ratio of your transmission.
    The reason I ask is because there's an easy math formula you can use (with the aid of a simple calculator) to answer your question.
    What you do is figure out the overall gear ratio (transmission x axle) you're using when driving at whatever speed you're curious about, then multiply that number by the speed (mph) you're driving at, divide by 336 and then multiply by the height of the tire.
    The end result will be the approximate speed of the engine, in rpm, at whatever given speed you're driving at.
    If the transmission is an automatic that DOESN'T use a lock-up torque converter, add 6.5% to the engine rpm.

Dean

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  7. OP
    Eddie Finch

Eddie Finch New Member

Thanks