rpms stay high while stifting...

Discussion in '3.0 Engine' started by 99ranger, Dec 3, 2012.

1. 99ranger

99ranger New Member

so i have a 99 ford ranger 6cyl 3.0 manual trans. lately every time i push in the clutch to shift the rpms stay high. it used to do it every now and then now its whenever the engine warms up or u drive for a while. i changed the idle valve and it still did it. i tried cleaning the throttle body and still no change. someone plz help!!! is it bad for my truck??? will it hurt the engine???

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. 01B3000

01B3000 ORIGINAL Portable Seizure

Ok, we need a bit more info. How high do the RPMs stay. Does your truck have Cruise Control?
    If so there could be a possibility of the cruise control somehow kicking on and possibly keeping the rpms up.

If youve changed the IAC it could possibly be the Throttle Position sensor.
    Or there could be a possibility of your throttle cable just sticking.

Um it wont hurt the engine, really just may hurt your clutch more.

4. 2004xlmiller

2004xlmiller Member

**** happens all the time. pretty sure its just the throttle cable sticking, it also happens more when the heat/ac is on.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Like Miller said, check your throttle cable, see if it is sticking or just replace it