Replace Heater Core

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by Yo'sDad, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Yo'sDad

Yo'sDad New Member

My daughter's heater core (1996 Mazda B2300 - obviously a Ranger) has a leaking heater core. Bought some time two years ag with some JB Radiator Stop Leak. I want to fix it properly this time.

The manual says the complete instrument panel must be removed. At this point I'm ready to take a saber saw to whatever is necessary of the heater box under the instrument panel. Anyone done this or have any better ideas? Right now I have the heater hoses looped, but it will eventually get cold and will need a proper fix.

thanks

YD

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. BaggedSplash

BaggedSplash GIMME BEER!!

oh how fun they are to do.:rolleyes:

you literally have to take the whole dash out. there is no other simpler way to do it. i did mine in my 95 Ranger and it took me all weekend long because i had no idea what i was in for. its easy but its REALLY time consuming...

4. OP
    Yo'sDad

Yo'sDad New Member

BaggedSplash, thanks for the info (I think). From your experience is there any possibility to cut a hole in the firewall from the engine side and pull the heater out that way, then I could just weld the hole back up???? Just looking for a way to avoid spending a weekend or paying someone a fortune.

It is basically ridiculous for Ford to all a design like this to happen.

thanks

YD

5. 94lifted4x431s

94lifted4x431s New Member

hey if its not ac then u can do some weasling and just pull the plastic cover out on the passenger side and pull the glove box down but only if its not ac. if it is have fun :(

6. OP
    Yo'sDad

Yo'sDad New Member

Has A/C, bummer, she can just wait till it gets cold and then start whinning at me. haha

YD

7. BaggedSplash

BaggedSplash GIMME BEER!!

no u have to take the dash out to do it. that was the first time i took my dash out so i had no idea how long it would take me to get that out. that was most of the job there. now i can get the entire dash out in less than an hour.

good luck getting a shop to do it. most shops i know wont touch it because its time consuming and they wont make any money off the labor.

8. OP
    Yo'sDad

Yo'sDad New Member

I'm not a shop sort of guy, just getting old and not looking forward to contorting myself into the necessary yoga positions to work under the dash.

I'm sure you and the others and the manual are correct, and I'm sure I will agree once I do this, but having to remove the whole instrument panel just to replace the heater core is insane to me. There should be an access door with a latch and hinge that you open and just slide the core out.... hahahaha, that would add another $.50 to the cost of the truck and mean someone actually designed it to be repaired. haha again.

Thanks to everyone for all your help and information. If you ever have any interest to search the MINI Cooper forum (NAM), just look for me (YosDad)

YD