rear cat delete??

Discussion in 'Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation' started by Mikeytown, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Mikeytown

Mikeytown New Member

I've noticed that my rear cat isn't monitored so wouldn't taking it off still be legal as my o2 sensor wont have a different readout? Also, WHY THE HELL CAN'T I GO OVER 90 mph?!?!:censored:

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 !! BAMF !!

What year of truck .......Taking any cat off without putting another one is actually illegal... but if you dont have to pass an inspection you should be fine

4. OP
    Mikeytown

Mikeytown New Member

2005 4.0 fx4 ranger. I know its illegal but im just planning on really taking them off and gutting them as they wont pass a visual inspection if they aren't there so ill take them off gut them and put them back.

5. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 !! BAMF !!

do you have inspections there... becouse if so .. it wont pass an sniffer inspection...

6. OP
    Mikeytown

Mikeytown New Member

they only do sniffers for cars made before obd2. now they just plug it in and go by that but since they aren't monitored it wont effect the readouts. My real concern is why the hell am i limited to 90 mph??? it bothers me that my dads pos 93 toyota pickup can go faster if I tell it to but mine stops right there....

7. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 !! BAMF !!

whats it do ...does it shut down... i thought the rangers were limited at 99... have you thought about a programmer or somethinge like that.. that would raise your limiter... and they still can do a sniffer test.. exspecially if it looks like its been messed with

8. OP
    Mikeytown

Mikeytown New Member

They could use a sniffer but it wouldnt make any difference. It doesn't shut down but it hits the limiter at about 92 and wont go any faster it bounces off

9. bobkyle2

bobkyle2 !! BAMF !!

you should look into a power programmer

10. grunt98444

grunt98444 Henry

I "heard" that they limit the speed because the rear seal in the 5spd auto will blow out at anything over 90 and or the stock tires are not rated for anything more

11. ryanzander

ryanzander Mud Digger

on my third gen i hollowed out both cats with a prybar, i dont have a rear 02 and they dont do inspections in illinois on obd1 and dont do any at all in michigan :)

12. Taylor

Taylor Roman 1:16

Im going to bump this thread by saying....please be careful not to speed. Ive have seen WAY too many "I wrecked my Ranger" threads floating around the web.

You cant go over 90 mph because of a factory speed limiter. You can only raise it with an aftermarket tuner (x-cal, diablosport, etc.)

Im not proud to say, but I have hit the speed limiter on my truck, and I felt a bit worrried at the stability of the truck at that speed.

I have also considered gutting my rear cat. I was told by a buddy (yeah, I know a guy lol) that I could gut it, and re-weld it to pass a visual, and I would be good to go.

13. I can only hit 92 as well, and the few times that I did it caused the pinion seal to blow in my rear end... It was a cheap fix though. I think 15 for the seal and 10 for the fluid...?

14. DangerRanger91

DangerRanger91 FinGer The Crimson Ginger

I want to gut or just remove my rear cat as well... My trucks too quite!

15. Flowmaster super 10 lol Then you won't even be able to hear yourself think lol