problems with Ford Ranger 1985

Discussion in '1983 - 1988 Ford Ranger' started by Rexeji, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Rexeji

Rexeji New Member

Hey everybody first time user,

My engine idles erratically and Lopes while idling. So I connected a vaccum pressure gauge last night and got the readings of 10 in then it dropped to 7 and started to shake like crazy (The needle on the gauge). This morning at about 10:00 I did this again. My engine idled high it would for about 2 minutes then started to drop again but this time when i hooked the guage up I got a steady 14 then drop steady 12 drop repeated till i turned the engine off about 5 mins of watching it go up and down. When I started to snap the throttle with my hand while looking at the guage i could only get it to 20.

I need to get my truck running as fast as i can please help me. how can I get my truck to idle better so I can take her too work. (Oh and she blows lots of blue exhaust smoke but i know the valve guides are worn but it used to idle a lot better before I changed the bottom oil seal.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bill

Bill New Member

1985, is this a carburator or CFI? Things common to both types, vacuum leaks, possible EGR valve not seating fully.

4. matcha

matcha New Member

sounds like a vacuum leak to me ... and bein an 85 an vacuum hose can be bad if its original