CL / ebay find: possible jeep

Discussion in 'Ranger Forum Classifieds' started by mcdonald58, Sep 18, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

I'd try to find one 98 and older. The front axles went to Low pinion in 1999. The problem with those is that they wear out pinion bearings around 100k miles. Ive swapped out 2 of them now.

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

oh thanks for the info i didnt know about the axles? how hard are the pinon bearings to replace?

5. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Lets just say brad hasnt had the best of luck with jeeps from what I've read lol.

6. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

To replace pinion bearings you basically have to tear the diff apart and have the inner bearing pressed off and a new one pressed on. The replace everything back into the housing.

7. Brinker88

AND reset the backlash, bearing preload, etc. which requires special tools to do.

8. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

that sounds like a a huge pita and something i wouldnt be able to do.

9. Brinker88

That's something I cant even do.

10. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

^ Brad you could probably do it if you had to and tried. Might take you longer then a weeend

11. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/3162674038.html
    heres a grand cherokee that i found that i like. i dont really like that generation. i dont like the front end at all but i think it could look good with the chrome painted flat black and a bull bar or brush guard in front of it. it has some minor paint damage but has only 114k on it.

12. FFparker

FFparker Shamrock

oh hell no. I had one. biggest POS in the world. Everything on it broke. 120k tranny was out. **** that

13. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

I'd find an old Cherokee (1993-1997) with a manual tranny, 4L I6 and call it a day. An old coworker had one he would off road all the time with no issues (stock with 31"s) and the chicks loved it, lots of room for necking after offroading. :p

14. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

thats what actually got me into jeeps. my friend had a 94 grand cherokee that he beat the hell out of it. it had half a bumper, mismatched fender, rust on wheel well, had 200k, and it didnt run that well. he sold it for 500 recently. i like that gen a lot better than 99-04

15. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

16. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i dont like that year interior. they updated them in 97+. which is important because i will be taking 14 hour car rides to and from college next year.

17. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i found this one. its a orvis edition which is very rare only about 10000 of then made. it has kind of high miles and the v8 which i dont like but the interior looks amazing and has so many nice features. http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/3289340771.html

18. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

^ that's a nice find man, i like that orvis edition alot. good price on it too. the 5.2 (318 chrysler) is a good engine too, reliable as hell, plenty of power for something like a jeep. probibly have more fun with that than with a 4.0.

19. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yea i think thats my favorite jeep so far. it looks so clean and that interior would be awesome to have for the trips to michigan. i want the 4.0 for the mpg. i think the color of it is awesome also. do you know how long those engines usually run to? since it already has 153k on it.

20. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

21. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/3324599429.html
    this is my favorite so far. i decided im going to look for a xj unless i find a real nice grand cherokee for a good price that has the v6. i like the color of this one and the year. i think it would look awesome blacked out.