plasti dip as a sound dampner/deadener?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by klinger86, Aug 21, 2011.

1. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i was just wondering if anyone has used plasti dip as a sound dampner/deadener? i got a couple of cans this morning to use on my rims for now and seen on the can that it can be used as a sound deadener and was just wondering if anyone has done it and how well it worked....

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

I have had HORRIBLE luck with plasti-dip. **** doesnt stick to anything more than a month it seems.

4. Achromious

Achromious New Member

I'm planning on trying it on a few things sometime soon and then I'll open a thread on it and how it does over time

5. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

It might work... you'd probably need to have the surface cleaned really well & rough it up a bit to give the dip a little more tooth to grab onto.

Another alternative to think about would be undercoating... only downside is that stuff stinks like someone farted on a skunk for quite some time. :(

6. Achromious

Achromious New Member

Haha yeah I'm thinking about using it on a few things that I don't mind sanding first so I'll be sure to prep it as best I can. Any idea what sort off application temperature you need?

7. OP
    klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

well had it on my rims for about a month and it just peeled off looed good while it was on there but oh well i'll find another way to keep my rims black.....

lol i could probably deal with the farting skunk for a few days during the summer...... just leave the windows down during the day and let the heat bake it as much as i can.....

8. Achromious

Achromious New Member

I'm planning on doing exterior trim stuff so nothing thats strained or moving so hopefully itll last longer than that

9. OP
    klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i put it on my ranger badges at the same time and hasnt even started peeling yet.... so you may be good there....

10. Achromious

Achromious New Member

Nice yeah I was thinking about those and also my other grille which I was gonna paint but I may just do this and see how that goes cause I can always rip it off and then paint it. The others things I reallly wanted to do we're the trim pieces along the bottom of the doors(ish) which are faded out and maybe the valance

11. OP
    klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

havent thought about the valance but my truck doesnt have the trim along the doors....

12. Achromious

Achromious New Member

Huh mine does one sec I'll try and find a pic that shows it. I think there's one in my profile album that does. Either way I'll post pics once I do it. It's a no lose, worst case I'm out like 6 bucks for a can haha so I'll def have pics once I've painted up everything I can get my hands on

13. OP
    klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i know duplicolor(i think) came out with a back to black for trim to restore it back to oe black...... if not duplicolor then it may have been rustoleum.....

14. Achromious

Achromious New Member

Yeah I tried something like that and it made it kinda shiny but didnt do anything on the hard plastics, only the stuff like the window weather stripping.