Painting my rims

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Hurley, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

This winter I am planning on painting my wheels. I want to do it right, no half a$$ing it. I have never painted a set of wheels and I can use some advice. Any tips are really appreciated. I have a set of rims to use while I am painting so I'm in no rush. I need to know just about everything from what grain sand paper to use , to how many coats of what kind of paint to use. Thanks in advanced.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

If they're aluminum. Sand/wire brush all the clearcoat off of them down to bare aluminum. Prime them with self etching primer ONLY! or the paint will NOT stick. Then paint them with desired color and 3-4 coats of clear (I use Duplicolor engine enamel paint and then use a torch to "bake" it on. Lasts forever.

4. OP
    Hurley

What is self etching primer? And can I get that at any hardware store?

5. Brinker88

Self etching is a special kind of primer made for aluminum. Go to an auto parts store and get it. Duplicolor makes the best that I can find...you'll spend $6+ a can for it tho.

6. It's easy. Mine were repainted in ten minutes lol I used the Rustoleum Engine Enamel because I know the wheels heat up from the brakes being used. Just expect to have to repaint them every so often if you go off road. Rocks kick up and chip away pretty good at it.... I cut tape to cover the center logo, and just painted everything while it was still on the truck. Came out nice at first, barely any runs. But like I said, it got chipped bad from rocks.

7. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

man i painten my rims and now the back rim is flakin of so im going to need to sand it all down and do it again. so do what brinker88 said you ill save your self a lot of ****t

8. OP
    Hurley

I know that if you don't prep well its gonna come back to bite you in the ass so that's why I'm gonna take my time with em. What about clear coat? Should I even bother with it if I bake the paint on?

9. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

i didnt clear coat mine and they looked good and held over the summer

10. Brinker88

Yea dude...definitely clear them unless you want flat black wheels. The sun will eat away at the color

11. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

Flats where its at... Just sayin ;)

12. OP
    Hurley

I have flat black now but I wouldn't mind a little gloss. How many coats of clear should I use?

13. Brinker88

Like I said above...2 thin coats one thicker top coat

14. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

this is exactly what i did with me level II alcoas last winter

15. OP
    Hurley

How did they hold up?

16. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

afew paint chips but that was cuz a gravel road. touched it up with a extra can of spray paint

17. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

This thread needs a BuMp.
    Lets see some pics of painted wheels.

18. OP
    Hurley

I never got around to painting them. It's still going to happen, just not sure when I'm gonna have the time

19. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

heres my contribution i went to advanced auto parts and got some wheel paint. i used some rust preventative primer but i dont think it was self etching. i found a flake on them i might sand it down and paint re do it. i love the look of them though going to look awesome once i get my bumpers painted. [​IMG]