New guy with a dead '03 Ranger

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by twinmill28, Sep 12, 2013.

1. twinmill28

twinmill28 New Member

I've been wanting a Ranger for a few years and finally got a great chance to own this one---except the head is shot on it, and with 200K miles, it might as well get an engine swap as well.
    It's a base Ranger, 2.3L motor and no frills---looking forward to finding an engine an getting it back on the road.
    :thumbsup:

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. kanuck15

kanuck15 Member

Those are a noninterference motor, therefore you can just swap the head and not worry about piston issues if the timing is what went wrong. seems like a whole motor swap is a lot of work for just a head provided compression is ok on the current motor

4. OP
    twinmill28

twinmill28 New Member

Well I was thinking for the amount of work I'll put into replacing the head, with 200K on the clock that motor probably doesn't have but another 100K if even that.
    Plus, the cost of the replacement head (dual overhead cam, 16 valves) makes it seem even more the right time to find a junkyard swap with lower miles for less than double the head cost.

5. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

08 Ranger Sport 4X4 New Member

Buy my truck instead... :)

Less work involved lol.

Good hunting for the right parts! You can always try car-part.com when searching for parts. Sometimes you can find exactly what you're looking for at the right price.

6. OP
    twinmill28

twinmill28 New Member

Given that I'm into this truck for free right now, plus add about a grand for a replacement engine, I'm thinking you'd have to offer yours up at a ridiculous price.
    I'm trying to get into this one for as little as possible.
    I would love to be into a truck needing no work though.....

7. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

search craigslist..My brother just picked up a 2.3 and 5spd for $225.00. Already out and on a pallet. 120k miles I think..He needed the trans, but it was too good of a deal to pass up..

8. 08 Ranger Sport 4X4

08 Ranger Sport 4X4 New Member

I understand what you mean. But my truck is already listed at a ridiculous price given the current market, just trying to poke some fun and also help out lol.

As I said, good luck in your search. There are some really good deals out there.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  9. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Have you considered an Explorer 5.0L V8 ?
    If you get a good vehicle to start, it is a bolt in and from what I have read it is an easy wire-up.
    i know it isn’t a 2.3 but you would have a really nice truck when done, plenty of power if and when needed and to me a less finicky motor.

I had a 2.3 but a 1995m it was ok, way low on power, popped back every so often and yes good mpg but the V8 won’t get really bad mpg.

My ’88 STX with ’93 5.0L got the same if not better than the 2.9L it replaced.

I know it isn’t what you asked about but it is a viable option that has been done by a lot of members on this site and there is plenty of information on here and other Ranger Site to get it done.

A well tuned 5.0L sounds great and drive even better.

Good Luck,