Looking to swap 2.9 for V8

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by mightymouse16, Oct 18, 2013.

1. mightymouse16

mightymouse16 mightymouse16

I have a 1989 Ranger with 2.9 V-6. I have a total of 9" of lift on it with 35" tires. So with that being said. I NEED MORE POWER. I was told to take a 5.1 LS1 motor and put it in. Any body got any ideas or suggestions. I don't even know if it will fit. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Since your profile isn’t filled in there can’t be an educated guess given that wouldn’t be useless.

The only engine that fits both 2 and 4 WD and looks good and has plenty of performance add on is the FORD 5.0L.

So fill in your profile and get back to us with what you have so we don’t waste our time suggesting things that may not work.

BUT no Chebbies.

4. OP
    mightymouse16

mightymouse16 mightymouse16

Ok.. My profile is hard for me to finish due to me being out to sea and the internet sucks. I have a 1989 Ranger XLT with 2.9 manual 5 speed 4x4. it has 9" lift on it 3" body and 6" suspension. It has 35" tires and 15" rims. I am looking to take it up some trails in the mountains with my wife and daughter. Go camping up in the mountains and stuff. I just don;t think that it is powerful enough to go where I need it to go. Thats why i'm asking what I can do. So a 5.0 motor will fit in it without alot of cutting or anything? Like I said any suggestions would be appreciated.

5. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

Yes the 5.0(302) will fit with out a lot of modification the LS1 that you were thinking about will fit as we'll but be a lot more cash wise and probably modification wise aswell. The 5.0(302) is just about a bolt in application. About the only thing if I remember correctly that you will have to mod for the 5.0 swap is a oil filter relocation. The motor mounts and all the other stuff you might need I have been able to find online in the past.

6. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

On my '88/5.0 swap the adapter kit came with a filter relocation setup, new motor mounts, headers, and an extra volume oil pan.

The frame on the passenger side had to be slightly mod'd for the headers to fit but other than that, with an adapter kit, the engine slipped in.

Get one of the three wire engine harnesses or the harness that is on the donor vehicle.
    Mine was out of a ’93 Stang, 5.0L, manual so I got the engine harness and computer,, that was all I needed.
    the only problem I got into was the Fuel Pump wiring but a call to a Ford Rep straightened it out.
    The engine harness on the 89, 2.9, should be a separate engine harness and easily removed.

The next thing is the trans, here there isn't much choices, just the C-4 auto or if you are auto you can put something together from your trans and the bell housing from the C-4. Check out the web for instructions.
    Other auto trans may fit but the standard route is limited if not impossible to fit in and the linkage too, maybe a 5 sp with the internal hydraulic clutch.

I ran the 5.0 for five years before selling the truck, it ran the balls.

The motor mounts aren’t like the newer ones where you can just get them from Ford, you need adapter mounts made for the swap but there are a lot of them out there.
    I used the complete swap kit for L&L Products and all went well but they are a little pricey or maybe you can get some off e-bay.
    I used the OEM 2.9L/5 sp mount to mount up the C-4 bolted up so I went with it without a problem.
    My C-4 had an Advanced Adapters T/C Adapter Plate to mount the stock 2.9L Transfer Case and again no problems.

I do not do a lot of heavy duty off roading so I think if you plan some HD stuff consider an HD T/C.

Luck to ya !

Ltr

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  7. Gary Lindsay

Gary Lindsay New Member

http://www.rangerforum.com/members/mightymouse16.6644/
    Your 2.9 would have plenty of power as is. Especially low range. I used to use my 1988 2.9 to plow snow here in MN. Put chains on all 4 wheels and added about 1 ton of extra weight on the box. I could plow more snow the a full size pickup. Plenty of power.
    However, a conversion to a 5.0 would be nice. I plan to do the same with mine.

8. vinn

vinn New Member

good conversion. a bit expensive, and lot of work, but the ford 302 is a very good engine and will last longer. vin