idler pulley slop

Discussion in '2.5 Engine' started by SalRanger2, Mar 3, 2013.

1. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

are idler pulleys supposed to have slop? the original one on there has slight play in the bearing, also when mounted it has front to back play of about 1/16-1/8 inch. bought a new one (no bearing slop) and mounted. there is the same front to back play!? any ideas? my plan so far is to just go to ford and get a motorcraft tomorrow

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

I just had the bearing on my idler pulley go out a couple weeks ago, the new one I put on is very solid, no slop at all. The old one had a good 1/8th inch of play and at high RPM sounded quite loud, the new one is super quiet. I have no front/back play either, make sure everything is snug and tight

4. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

thanks for the reply. yea i didnt think there was supposed to be any play (on another forum someone told me that was normal lol wtf). at first i bought just the pulley from orielly's, mounted it and still play! but what i ended up doing was getting one from ford that comes with the bolt, washer, and retaining washer thing. idk what could have caused the problem

5. dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

No clue, perhaps a burr on your old bolt or somehow it crossthreaded a little and didnt go all the way in? Who knows, at least you got it fixed!

6. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

yea that or i was thinking maybe the retaining washer? but i mean if the pulley was bolted tight that shouldnt make a difference?? but yea either way were good to go! i do have a squeak up front now though, all my pulleys felt fine. Belt?