How To: Strip and re-paint factory step bars

Discussion in 'How-To' started by Hooligan, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

How To: Strip and re-paint factory step bars from a 2001 Ranger XLT and any Ranger with the same steps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tools required :

Grinder or electric drill
    Paint/rust stripping pads (atleast 2)
    Socket set
    VHT Rollbar/Chassis paint black or gloss your choice (minimum 2 cans)
    Flathead screw driver
    Gloves & safety glasses
    Rubber mallet (optional)
    Xylene (optional)
    Step 1. STEP REMOVAL

Using the proper socket, remove the bolts underneath each side that hold the steps to the bracket.
    Step 2. END CAP REMOVAL
    Using a flathead screwdriver remove the end caps by prying them out partially, than pushing down
    [​IMG]

Step 3. PLASTIC STEP REMOVAL
    Again using the flathead screwdriver, slide the screwdriver under the end of the plastic step, pry the plastic up with the screwdriver while pulling it up with your other hand working your way down the step. Take care in prying it up so you do not break the clips.
    [​IMG]
    Step 4. GRINDING PAINT & RUST FROM THE STEPS
    Using a grinder or electric drill, attach a paint/rust stripping pad and grind the paint and rust off the steps. MAKE SURE YOU ARE WEARING GLOVES AND SAFETY GLASSES. THE STRIPPING PADS THROW ALOT OF DEBRIS WHEN GRINDING.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 5. CLEANING STEPS AFTER GRINDING
    There are two options of cleaning off the steps after grinding. I used an air compressor and just blew them off with the air hose. You can opt to use Xylene to clean the steps off. Wearing rubber gloves and a clean rag dump Xylene on the rag and wipe the steps down and allow them to air dry. USE CAUTION WITH XYLENE, SKIN CONTACT MAY CAUSE BURNS, WEAR THE PROPER ATTIRE WHEN USING THIS PRODUCT!
    Step 6. PAINTING THE STEPS
    When painting the steps, its best to hang them when painting, However I leaned them against things to paint and I could still get them painted 360 degrees. Using the VHT rollbar/chassis paint, paint the bars in a sweeping motion, keeping the spray can 8-10 inches away from the bars. Go around the entire bar and make sure you do not let the paint build up and run. Allow 10 minutes drying time between coats. I applied three coats, you can do more to get to the way you want your steps.
    Once your are done painting the steps, allow them to dry for atleast 24 hours before reinstallation. I chose VHT rollbar/chassis paint because it is a self priming paint and it is durable.
    [​IMG]

Step 7. RE-INSTALLING STEPS
    Snap step pad back on starting at one end, working your way down, if the snaps are too difficult to snap in by hand, use a rubber mallet and gently tap them in. Slide and snap in end caps in reverse order in which they were taken off, then mount the steps back on to their brackets attached to the truck.
    Before
    [​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. oh, I thought it was a double post, but this must be a discussion theread on it

same as the bedliner, might want to put discussion in the headline lol

4. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

The other is locked so you can only post in the discussion threads

5. ok, so I see you painted yours but i thought you were going to take em off?

6. OP
    Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

That write up is from last spring lol, I just took them off last week. The salt on the roads just killed them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.