How To: Pre '98 coil spring swap - Discussion thread

Discussion in 'How-To Submissions' started by finn611, Mar 17, 2012.

1. finn611

finn611 happiness is a warm gun

one of my coil springs broke and had had to swap them out, pretty easy job ( less than 2 hours total ) with the twin I beam trucks. Start by jacking the truck up and getting a jack stand under the frame behind the front tire,
    (only picture i have with the jack in it)
    [​IMG]
    then jack up under the axle to compress the spring a little bit, then unbolt the shock and stabilizer,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then you can let the jack down to lower the axle, pop the top of the coils spring out,
    [​IMG]
    Then get a nice ratchet or in my case a nice impact, your going to need a long extension and a 1 1/8 socket, i sprayed everything down with PB blaster to help break everything loose, but for these i needed some heat ( i used a little propane torch for plumbing)
    [​IMG]
    Then get the ratchet/impact on a give it hell and pop the coil spring out,
    [​IMG]
    set the new coil in place and get the retainer and nut back on and tighten the nut back down,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Get the top of the spring back into possition and jack the axle back up to compress the coil spring so you can bolt the stabilizer and shock back up,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    make sure the spring is in the right possition and you should be all set to bolt the tire back up,
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

sweet

4. OP
    finn611

She drives like a dream now. And honestly i dont think theres much more that can go wrong. The outside looks a little rough, but the front end got fully rebuilt about 5,000 miles ago (wheel bearings, tierod ends, ball joint, u joints, ext.) And the motor still runs like new. I did just have a code pop up that tue canister purge valve is bad so thats next on the list. And this summer shes getting scrubed and undercoated real good.

5. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

should be good to go for the dunes meet

6. OP
    finn611

I hope so, now i just need to get a gopro!

7. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

fwiw, the upper part of the coils should "screw" in to those retainers. It shouldnt be just "sitting" in there.

Other than that, it looks good tho!

8. OP
    finn611

I did after i took the pics

9. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Nice write up dude! Thanks for the contribution!