How To: Clean Throttle body and IAC 4cyl 2.3 engine - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'How-To Submissions' started by mcdonald58, Jul 4, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

This How To is for cleaning your throttle body and IAC (Idle Air Control Valve). The cleaning steps work on all engine throttle bodies and IAC's, however the breakdown is different on certain size engines. This How To was performed on a 1997, 4 cyl 2.3 l engine. With this cleaning you should experience a smoother idle, better acceleration, and possibly better mpg, all depending on how dirty your throttle body is.

Tools needed: (Not all of these are necessary you will see which ones are)

Ratchet with extension
    10mm socket
    3/8th socket
    flashlight
    Throttle body cleaner
    Push pin remover
    Cuetips
    Paper towel.
    Flathead screw driver
    Plywood (optional)
    MAF cleaner

[​IMG]
    You will notice this sticker on your throttle body, ignore it any special coating they have has worn off and is covered in carbon. you cant hurt your throttle body by cleaning it the correct way, with the correct cleaners.
    [​IMG]

Step 1. Remove the throttle body cover by removing one 10 mm bolt. the push pin then it just snaps off the throttle body.
    [​IMG]

Step 2. Remove the electrical connectors, these can be removed by pushing in the pins and pulling up or out. There is also one on the IAC[​IMG]

One on the throttle body
    [​IMG]

One on the air intake hose
    [​IMG]

Step 3. Using your flat head screw driver on the throttle body and the air box,Remove the air intake hose by loosening the clamps [​IMG]

Step 4. Remove the throttle cable by pulling it, it will pop off the throttle body.
    [​IMG]

Step 5. Remove the throttle body by taking out the 4 bolts holding it on using the 3/8th's socket. I did this by loosing them with the socket then taking them out by hand. You will need your extension for one of the bolts since you wont be able to reach your hand in there. I used my mag lite to find this bolt and put the socket on it. there is also a hose that you will have to pop off.

Step 6. Remove the IAC by taking out the two 10 mm bolts holding it onto the throttle body.

Step 7. Clean your throttle body, by spraying throttle body cleaner on the plate and all around it, use paper towels to wipe. DO NOT use a brush. Brushes will scratch up the inside. As you spray, dump out the liquid as it builds up. The job is not a clean one, I recommend putting a sheet of plywood down then putting a paper towel on top of it.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see mine needed a cleaning really badly, it was completely black inside.

Step 8. Clean the IAC. (I used maf cleaner to do this) You can also use throttle body cleaner that does not contain solvents. This is where the cue tips come in handy.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    This IAC did not clean up too well, sometimes repeating these steps are necessary.

Step 9. Allow everything to completely dry and re-install in reverse order.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Good write up! Thank you for the contribution!

4. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

nice work man! hows it all going after you put it back together?

5. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

thanks guys. hopefully it helps someone. it didnt fix my idle but i have a can of sea foam going through now. i think it might be something with my spark plugs. it might have improved my mpg though not sure because i havent clocked a whole tank.

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i thought i would update this with my results. i have gained 30 miles per tan and any improvement in mpg for me is a big improvement.

7. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

is the CEL all gone?

8. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

nope thats my o2 sensor i still need to get around to ordering that.

9. 30 more miles per tank is better than none!

10. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

bet that 02 sensor will help alot too

11. hunter1971

hunter1971 New Member

gasket

I assume you need a throttle body gasket correct? Do you need any adhesive on the gasket or can you just put the gasket directly between?

Thanks!!

12. hunter1971

hunter1971 New Member

gasket

Do you need a throttle body gasket when reinstalling?

13. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i would inspect the gasket and determine if it needs to be replaced. mine was fine so i just bolted it back on since i didnt take it off. i didnt use any kind of gasket adhesive either.