How to: $3.50 CB mount - Discussion thread

Discussion in 'How-To Submissions' started by Achromious, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Achromious

Achromious New Member

Disclaimer: The concept for this was not mine, but the photo's/instructions were all taken and written by myself for RF.N

To make this mount you'll only need a few things:
    A metal vice(or some substitute)
    A Hammer
    A hacksaw or dremel
    A 1/2" drill bit (although having several of smaller sizes will make your life much easier)
    And a 3" T bracket from your local hardware store.

1st drill the antenna hole.
    For me I made a dent with a nail punch so the drill wouldnt wobble then started with a small bit and stepped up to 1/2"
    Clamping this own will make your life a lot easier.

2nd bend the bracket.
    Decide which side of the truck you want it on and the bend it accordingly. (see my picture below for the left side of the truck and do the opposite for right)
    I just clamped it with the arm of the bracket out the top and hammered it down until it was at a right angle.

3rd hacksaw or use a dremel to remove the extra arm of the bracket (see below)

Lastly check to see if it will bolt right in (you may have to widen one of the pre-drilled holes slightly)

[​IMG]

Then mount the bracket to your tailgate bolts like so:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Very cool writeup and idea! Thanks for sharing!

4. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

Not to take anything away from your write up but don't they make an L bracket big enough to not need to cut a T bracket?

5. ob269

ob269 New Member

Thats so simple yet fvcking ingenious! I will do this too!

6. OP
    Achromious

Achromious New Member

Thanks guys!

I just went with what was easy to find. If you have an L bracket then go for it haha.

I'll post some pics of it on the truck this evening it's a good mounting spot, I think it looks cool

7. ob269

ob269 New Member

Yeah dude, I love the tailgate mounts!

8. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

Good wright up man!

9. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Ingenuity at it's best. Great writeup!

10. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Any rust preventative? Or is the stock galvanized? And if galvanized, proper antenna grounding???

PS: look into chopping off that screw-on coax in favor of using ring terminals. Better grounding. Grounding is king for CB performance. You can have a junk radio and a great antenna ground.......and out perform a 100w radio with a junk antenna ground.

11. OP
    Achromious

Achromious New Member

It's coated for anti rust but I'm going to prep and paint it if I end up keeping it. I don't really know about the rest haha