Help identifying rod bearings

Discussion in '3.0 Engine' started by benspilk09, Jun 19, 2012.

1. benspilk09

benspilk09 New Member

Just bought a 2000 ranger, 3.0 5 speed 4wd but the oil pan gasket was leaking like crazy so I pulled the engine to replace it, the clutch, and the rear main seal.

I pulled off a couple of rod caps and they were a little scored so I'm going to throw a set of them in too, I was wondering if there is a way to tell if the bearings are standard size by the ford part number stamped on them, or will I have to scrounge up a micrometer and measure the crank?

Edit: The P/N stamped on the bearings is F8DE-AA

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I would think if the engine never had a rebuild, just get the exacts of them off that part number through a dealer so you cant go wrong.

4. DPG3

DPG3 Member

yeah, just call ford, give them your vin and ask for the parts.

5. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

minor scratching on the crank bearings is normal. You only need to replace them if your fingernail catches them when you run it accross the bearing.

6. OP
    benspilk09

benspilk09 New Member

You can definitely catch a fingernail in them. Not sure if I was losing oil pressure through them, but they are scored up decently bad.

I searched around and found that is just a casting number that appears on many different engine parts so I gave up and ordered a std. set of bearings, I'll just have to check them with plastigage and go from there.

7. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

F8DE-AA is a good OE ford part number.