Gears?

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by cookiemonster, Feb 28, 2012.

1. cookiemonster

cookiemonster New Member

So im looking to swap out gears in my ranger, and not sure what would be best.
    I currently have 3.27's

Was curious to who knows about gears, what gears would be best for what

what would be best for towing?
    what would be best for "get up"? (speed/ picking up speed)
    what would be best for fuel milage?
    and so on and so forth

like 4.10, 3.27, 3.55,...etc just trying to learn more about gearing

please help me out

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. I love my 4.10s. They're not really bad with gas mileage, have get up and go off the line, and tow like a damn tank lol

4. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

4.10s or 4.56's but Im going to warn you, it's expensive as hell. I have just over $1000 in my rear axle alone.

5. Franchi Motorsports

Franchi Motorsports Ranger Forum Vendor

There isn't really a "best" as it all depends on what you want. 3.73 and 4:10's are the most popular by far and some like 3:90 for a compromise. I would avoid Motive brand gears though, they can be a real pita to shim in. Personally I'd suggest 4:10 gears as the truck will wind up a lot quicker and have better low end grunt for towing.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  6. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

G2 or Yukon gears ONLY. G2 are the cheaper ones, easy as hell to set up, and very quiet. I would personally go 4.10s if your'e sticking with 33s. Grab a 4.10 L/S Explorer disc brake axle outa the JY, weld on your spring perches and shock tabs and slap that baby in there. Then All you have to do is regear the front. You'll have about $500 in the rear and another $450 up front, which is fairly cheap.

7. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

This

8. OP
    cookiemonster

cookiemonster New Member

would the 4.10's decrease my already ****ty gas mileage?

9. I get about 16-19 on the highway depending on the way I drive, and my engine was beat to hell too. You'll be fine

10. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

i love my 4.10s...really make use of the available power

11. kmeser

kmeser Guest

Nice mall crawler djfllmn

12. djfllmn

djfllmn ^^^ I am Mr. Clean!

thanks haha

13. kmeser

kmeser Guest

Wish myn waz blue