Gar Fuel Filler Tube

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by 90RedRanger, Apr 5, 2023.

1. 90RedRanger

90RedRanger Member

I'm getting ready to buy a fuel filler tube for my 90 Ranger. It looks like I'll have to remove the gas tank.
    Is there a better way? an has anyone done it before?
    Thanks. Tony

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. mrjimphelps

mrjimphelps New Member

I did it for my 97 ranger. The easiest way is to pick up the bed, so you can get to the filler tube. Remove the front four bed bolts, and halfway unscrew the back two bed bolts, but leave them screwed in part way - don't remove them. Then use a lift of some sort to pick up the front of the bed - the bed won't slide off, because you left the back bolts in. This will keep your wiring from being damaged as well. Be sure to detach the tube from the gas filler hole on the side of the bed before doing this.

Once you lift the front of the bed, you detach the tube from the gas tank, and install the new tube. Twist the tube if needed so that the other end lines up with the hole on the side of the bed. Lower the bed, then attach the filler tube to the hole on the side of the bed. Piece of cake.

4. OP
    90RedRanger

90RedRanger Member

Ahhh good idea. I'm looking at the bolts that look like a torx bit. Did you have any trouble with rust or hard to remove? I will have to buy this torx bit. And what size? Dopes it require 2 people to lift the bed
    on one end? Thanks.

5. mrjimphelps

mrjimphelps New Member

I got new bolts for my bed, because the ones already in the truck were rusty. I needed a big Torx bit to remove the bed bolts, and I found the right size at Tractor Supply. They sell a set of Torx bits, and the biggest one in the set fit the bed bolts in my Ranger bed. They let me take the set outside to my truck to make sure that one of them would fit my truck.

The old bolts were a bit hard to remove.

I bought a filler tube on E-bay. Do a search for Filler Neck Hose or Filler Neck Pipe.

If you are going to use two people to lift the front of the bed, be sure to get a couple of 2x4s or something similar to prop up the bed while you work.

6. OP
    90RedRanger

90RedRanger Member

I finally got the filler tube done. I had to make a tool to remove the bolts by welding a bar to them and getting them loose. I used different bolts to replace them.
    Mine were really rusted. Thanks again for the tip.
    Tony

mrjimphelps likes this.