Fuel line quick connect "tab" broken

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by xopher, Sep 20, 2009.

1. xopher

xopher New Member

I have an '04 Escape and an '04 Ranger. While tuning them up, I was able to easily lift the tab on the Escape's fuel line quickconnect and then slide it off (without issue) while replacing the fuel filter. On the Ranger though, the tab would not release, after some online research (which was pretty vague) I decided to try a disconnect tool. I couldn't get this to work (it's the little plastic collar kind that wraps around filter's tube and is supposed to slide into the collar on the fuel line.) I finally decided to push my luck and just apply more force than I was comfortable with to the tab (with a screw driver) to try to get it to release. Well, as you're probably anticipating right now... the release tab snapped.

I'm hoping this doesn't mean I need replace the whole fuel line.

So a few questions:

1. Will the fuel line be pushed off of the filter when the pressure builds up without this tab? (Worst case scenario)

2. Can anyone provide instructions on how to do this properly? I've replaced fuel filters on all of my cars and never encountered anything so difficult (although I once forced the line off on a '99 Golf in low light and ended up having to replace the line between the tank and the filter (not fun.))

3. If a tool is required, can someone provide explicit instructions? I tried pulling the line toward the filter and using an open ended wrench for leverage to push the little plastic collar into the quickconnect collar, but I'm not sure if the tab needed to be up first, or the tool is designed to releast the tab.

4. Are replacement tabs available (if needed)?

Any help is appreciated--I'm glad I found this forum either way. Thanks.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    xopher

xopher New Member

So far so good

For the record, I did nothing and drove 11 miles to work today. So far no issues, but I think that might be because the tab snapped, so the "arms" (for lack of a better term) are still in there respective slots, and thus the fuel line is probably still locked in place.

I do need to sort this out eventually though, so if anyone can provide any ideas, they would be appreciated.

Thanks.

4. Jon

Jon Administrator

I would think you would want to replace the fuel filter tab. My fear would be #1 happening. Have you checked to see if they are available?

5. Bill

Bill New Member

Don't have a 94 ranger to look at. Ford has used two types of disconnects. The first sounds like the Escape, metal reuseable clip is removed, garter spring is expanded with use of special tool, and line is removed. The other type was a replaceable plastic retainer, shaped like a U, and was just pried off with a screw driver. It had barbs like a fish hook has. It was a throw away, and was provided new with the filter.