fuel filter replacement.

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by mcdonald58, Oct 20, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

how hard is it to replace the fuel filter on my truck? do i just un bolt the mount take the lines off then put the new one in. are there any special tools i need to do this? also could an old one be causing poor mpg. i think my factory one is still on. how often are these supposed to be replaced? thanks for any help.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

When I did it, I took the gas cap off first to vent it. Remove the bracket holding the filter on. The filter lines do have clips on them where some say you need a special tool to remove it. I used pliers to pop them off. When you pull the lines off, you will have some residual gas in the lines so be careful, it will leak a bit. The new filter comes with new clips, so hook the lines up and put the new clips on & remount the filter to its bracket.

I think the recommended replacement is 50k, but I'm not positive. Being that they are cheap enough and easy to replace, I would do it every 20k. An old one could cause poor MPG's but I dont think it would be a signifigant loss.

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i got the filter today they gave me one with no clips but i brought it back and got the clips. hopefully i can get the truck into the shop and up on the lift so i can do my shackles and fuel filter.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Cool deal...good luck man!

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

is there a special kind of tool that i need to take the lines off the filter? or do they just pull of.

7. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

Well my fuel filter defeated me today. I got one side free then the other it had a metal clip that I got off but something is holding the line on the filter. I'm going to take it to the shop tomorrow and get the truck up in the air and figure it out. Also I think I'm going to have to shave my head and become bald since I got gas in my hair. i left the bracket off so i wouldnt have to deal with the rust and i left the metal clip off for my one mile drive tomorrow. i looked at it while starting and nothing is leaking.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  8. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

I got this done today I had to use a hose disconnect to to get the front hose off then my bolt coming off the bracket snapped so I just had to put a new bolt in it