fog lights can i do this?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Captured Time, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

ok i am having problems with my fog lights butning out fast ( think its in the conector ) any way i am looking into some new fogs and want to know it i can hard wire the new ones into my stock wire's so i can use my fog light switch?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

You may be able to, you should pm Buggman, he is the guru with that stuff. It all depends on matching the proper wiring and identifying stock wiring and aftermarket.

4. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

if i am not mistaken clinton buggman made a pigtail that would allow you to hook up aftermarket fogs to the oe switch.....

5. machine

machine Banned

If you suspect it's the connector that's causing your fog lights to burn out, then wouldn't that connector also cause your New fog lights to burn out, if they are attached?

6. BisketFx4

BisketFx4 New Member

X2 I was thinking the same thing

7. OP
    Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

is what i want to do is tap int to the power and switch wires and the ground before the wires get to the connector. i had kinda the prob on my 98 but it was blowing out my head lights and ford put in new connectors

when i get to my truck i will podt a pic of what im talking bout

8. just keep the wire on the new lights same size as the oem wire size you should be fine

9. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

The wiring on the Ranger is setup for 35watt/ea lighting so if your new lights are 55w/ea then although it will work by just connecting the new to the old, after a while the wiring will cause a problem, may even burn out a relay or just char it enough to work some of the time, PITA.

Best bet , there are two.

1) If you want to keep the OEM Switch - get the Buggman Harness and mate the Light Harness to it. This method allows you to keep the existing OEM switch and allows the lights to run off of the new harness to get full current.

2) If you want to use just the new harness that comes with the lighting by itself. This eliminates the Buggman Harness and allows you to run any switch you want and will allow full current to reach the lights.

Both end results are what you want full reliable current reaching the light WITHOUT A PROBLEM.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012