exterior LED problems

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Brinker88, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

I have a 93 Ranger. Just put LED tail lights and front corner lights in. Got a slight problem with it. When I install the front turns, the turn signals dont work. But when I install the incandescent bulbs in the front they work, but extremely slow with the LED tail lights in.

I tried doing some research. Do i need a different flasher for this conversion to work properly? [​IMG]

I heard something about an EP27 flasher but Im not sure if it fits my truck. And from what I've heard, that flasher is to get rid of the hyperflash on LEDs NOT to fix the slow flashing.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Are ya sure you got the "dual stage" LEDs? So they have two brightnesses?

4. 01B3000

01B3000 ORIGINAL Portable Seizure

Did you get the 3156 bulbs, or 3157? (Or are the older ones 1156/1157?) If you got 3156, only either the marker lights will work, or the turnsignal will work, but never both, because its 3156 is only designed for 1 filament use, while 3157 would have 2 filaments, therefore allowing turn and markers to be on at the same time.

I probably made that confusing. take out the bulbs and check how many wires are on the base, if 4, its 3157, if only 2 its 3156.
    If its an 11 series bulb, look on the bottom for either 1 contact (1156) or 2 contacts (1157)

And the flasher only gets rid of the hyper flash, but that isnt your problem at the moment because you cant get them to flash.

5. OP
    Brinker88

3157's for the front turns. That's what I recieved. Should have been plug and play :confused1:

6. 01B3000

Try moving them to the backs? Maybe just defective sets? Ive had problems with some of my leds, but they were cheap ones, and gave out after like a year of use. If the incandescent bulb is working then theres no problem in your truck. It has to be the bulb.
    Did you try with the markers and turns going at the same time

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  7. OP
    Brinker88

No they work. I plugged them into my other ranger. I talked to a bunch of people here at work. They think I need a 2 prong electronic flasher. The standard flasher is making too much voltage for the LEDs and making them not work properly. Im going to try it tonight and get back to you guys.

8. 01B3000

Ok, but yea, i know my truck took the EP27 flasher, only about 10 bucks. Yours may take a different style.

If its a two pin, look for like an FL2, 3 pin its FL3, something along those lines. But go and take yours out first and compare, because ford does like using the EP27 in their trucks.

9. OP
    Brinker88

10. 01B3000

Eh, guess so, not to familiar with the 3rd gen rangers.

11. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

DOH!

I keep forgetting you have the 93 :p

That's really odd, normally the led's will make everything blink super fast not super slow.

The amber turns are dual brightness 3157's.

It could be the electronics of the pre-95 trucks are a little more picky when it comes to the led's... maybe your trucks electronics make the turns flash slow when a bulb is burned out rather than fast like the newer trucks.
    If you can get one of those electronic flashers for your truck it should remedy the issue, but this is a first.

12. OP
    Brinker88

Figured that out after calling everone I know lol. And thanks for the flasher part number bro! NAPA was the only one that had it in stock...$40! :eek:

13. 01B3000

Holy ****!

14. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Did they supply the Vaseline or did you have to take your own?
    Ouch! That's an expensive flasher.

How did it work out?

15. OP
    Brinker88

Dunno....waiting til it gets in tomorrow at NAPA

16. Demon

Demon I take no prisoners!

ouch thats alot of cash