Engine pinging after shutting off

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jranger96, Jan 16, 2019.

1. jranger96

jranger96 New Member

Hey guys, I have a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0L

I have just noticed this problem after replacing the Lower intake manifold gaskets and fuel injectors that after shutting the engine off, you can hear ticking/popping noises coming from the engine. I replaced the fuel injectors with a re-manufactured set I got off eBay.
    I followed the repair manual, the only hiccup I came across was removing the push rods, but I torqued those down to spec while reassembling.

The truck starts okay, it has developed a slight stutter when turning on. Sometimes it cranks longer than it used to. It accelerates fine. No noises while driving. Only when I shut the engine.

I checked the dip stick and it reads somewhere in the middle of the cross hatch and no white smoke puffing at the tail pipe, so no coolant leaks internally.

Feel free to ask more questions and thanks in advance

I have posted a video of the noise below

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

...you torqued down the push rods?

As for the noise, is there a tin shield on the side of the exhaust manifold?
    Sometimes the change in heat between the engine running and not running causes that to expand and contract, and it can often make a ticking/popping noise like that.

4. OP
    jranger96

jranger96 New Member

yes im pretty sure i torqued them down to spec. i read on somewhere that they may be torqued to tight though.

5. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Are you talking about setting the lash on the valves?
    I ask because one does not torque down push rods....unless you're talking about something else?
    Push rods are the hollow metal tubes that sit between the cam lifters in the block and the rocker arms in the head.
    You set the lash on the valves by adjusting the nut that holds the rockers on the stud.
    ...but I still say that sounds like a tin shield that's expanding and/or contracting. Its common for them to be mounted to the side of the exhaust manifold, but it could be anywhere.

Dean

6. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

sound like something is cooling down.

DeanMk likes this.