E-brake non-op

Discussion in 'Suspension Tech' started by dropt_98, Mar 18, 2013.

1. dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

Alright guys, just as the title says, my e-brake has been non-op since this past summer, the cable is sagging a couple inches lower than it normally should be. Once the weather gets a bit warmer (lovely Ohio weather) I'm planning on redoing the rear brakes (im betting they are more than shot), what all do I need to redo the e-brake? Thanks!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Diablo

Diablo New Member

probably a new cable. sounds likle it has rusted up on you

4. OP
    dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

I think the setup inside of the drums is shot too, I am debating if I even have rear brakes at the moment. Unfortunately my jack & jack stands were stolen this fall so I haven't been able to jack it up and see whats going on

5. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

you will need brake shoes e-brake cables and a brakes parts kit it should include all new hardware for your drum brakes... or atleast i think it should....

6. OP
    dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

Where would you guys recommend a good place for brake parts? Rockauto?

7. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i just go to my local auto parts store... but as far as asking our opinon on good places to get your supplies you'll get 6 answers going one way and half a dozen going another.... just my .02..

8. OP
    dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

Haha thanks for the .02. I used to have a group of friends out where I live who used to hang and work on cars, and since then they've either gotten arrested, f'd off somewhere else, or just disappeared. So I have no one to chat cars with, so I appreciate the help. I'm the only one in my town that appears to even give a crap about their ranger. All the other ones I see are stock and beat to hell & back lol

9. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

You're 2wd. Find yourself an explorer 8.8 with disc brakes. My axle came with working cables from the JY. Plus with you being lowered, you can drop the axle right in (spring under axle) and have it 4 inches lower than the stock height. The swap is stupid simple on a lowered truck. It will be more expensive (all new brakes/u-bolts/etc) but will be cheaper and simpler to work on in the future.

10. OP
    dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

Hm, is there a DIY info on swapping to an 8.8? I'd love to have a posi rear end & disc brakes. mmmmm no more one-wheel-wonders lol.

11. Brinker88

You don't really need a DIY. Just bolt it in, bleed the brakes, and go burn out...Lol.

12. OP
    dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

Didn't know if they mounted up the same or if I needed to fab brackets for the shocks & leaf springs. Will the master cyl work for disc brakes in the back or do I need to upgrade it to an explorers?

13. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

An exploder is just a 4 door ranger with an enclosed bed basically. Little different body style but mechanically the same. ie the frame on an exploder is the same as a ranger just stretched a little longer.

14. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

People say you need a new master, but I didn't swap mine. I could still lock my 33's up on dry pavement.

15. OP
    dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

Thanks for all the info guys, guess I know what my new spring mod is going to be once I get a little cash and it warms up! Right now the wind chill this morning is around 8 degrees!

16. Brinker88

Use the stock explorer u-bolt plates. They have the lower shock mounts incorp. into them.

17. OP
    dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

Thanks Brinker, I'll probably be looking for a new rear end soon. Right now I'm dealing with 2 very stubborn lug nuts that won't break loose. Sprayed them with PB blaster and still no luck. Any ideas anyone?

18. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

Put a socket and ratchet then put a pipe on the ratchet and push down with all your weight. Make sure you have the exact size socket.

19. OP
    dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

If I do that man I'm gonna snap the stud. Almost bent my breaker bar. I need someone with air tools to try and slowly break it loose. I'm hoping that the night soaking in pb blaster helped some at least lol. I'm not really lookin to snap any studs off this time around, we are supposed to get 8-10 inches of snow here by tomorrow night and I need the truck running

20. Brinker88

Replacing a stud in the rear is stupid simple (as is the front). You should have enough room to get the new stud in w/out removing the shaft. Use a bunch of washers and a 1/2-20 nut (NOT a lug nut) to install it.

21. OP
    dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

I'm heading to my buddys shop tomorrow afternoon (hopefully before the snow hits) to see if I can get an impact to knock it loose. Been sprayin with pb blaster since yesterday evening