dremel tool

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mcdonald58, Jun 24, 2013.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

how many of you guys use dremels? i need to get something to cut my door pins out of my jeep so i can go doorless. i would use a cut off wheel but i feel its to close i really dont want to cut into the body of my jeep. i was thinking of getting this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-200-Series-2-Speed-Rotary-Tool-with-15-Assorted-Accessories-200-1-15/202349458?N=c2fpZgr#.Ucjt8_msiSp but also found this one at harbor freight,http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-rotary-tool-kit-68986.html. i think i might just go with the dremel because of the higher quality. which do you guys think i should get.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Taylor

Taylor Roman 1:16

Do you have a Lowes nearby?
    I think they also have a rotary tool.

"Blue Hawk" or something is the brand name.

I got a HECK of a deal one day. I only paid $25 for the super duper kit lol.

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yea i have a lowes about 15 minutes from me. do you have the blue hawk tool? how compact is it? the space that i have to cut in is pretty narrow. i like the price of it and i would get more accessories. ill have to go to lowes and home depot and look at them and see which one i like better.

5. Taylor

Taylor Roman 1:16

Its the same size at the dremel.

I'm not sure how well it will do in tight spaces.
    It might have been a Christmas sale when I bought mine. It came with a crapload of stuff.

6. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I have the larger HF cutoff tool, the big ugly red/orange one.. and it leaves a lot to be desired in the way of function, power & features.
    That small black one will have even less power :(

I'd really suggest spending a few more bucks for a branded dremel or something similar. Going with a dremel brand tool will also make life easier if you want to add a flex shaft attachment later on. None of the off brand stuff will work with many of the dremel attachments like that. The 1/8" bits, etc will probably work just fine, but not much that attaches to the dremel motor unit will.

I wouldn't have one that wasn't variable speed too. It's well worth the extra $10 or so on the dremel brands.

This one [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-RTX-B-3-Speed-Rotary/dp/B000MUSLCC/ref=sr_1_8?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1372132112&sr=1-8&keywords=dremel+variable+speed"]RIGHT HERE [/ame]looks pretty good too.

I wouldn't have another cordless one though... the battery lasts about 5 minutes of light sanding & takes half the day to charge back up :thumbdown:

I use the HF tools for handheld stuff where I don't mind if it gets broken, but I have 2 var speed dremels with flex shafts for finer work that needs a more delicate touch.

7. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Just an opinion… a dremel will leave a lot to be desired in the area of cutting things.
    A dremel tool was designed for a modeling hobbiest, then they got an idea to go bigger but not a lot more powerful.

Use a standard Cut Off Tool, if it can fit, be careful and get the job done and you won’t have to buy a new Dremel Tool or suffer through the long process.

UNLESS ! Check out the cut off wheels that come with it, if they look HD enough then MAYBE it can work.

Also… I haven’t followed your Jeep stuff but what model do you have.
    Just asking, won’t the hinges unbolt from the vehicle ? Easier to work on !

Luck with your choice that I feel there is no choice, get a good cut off tool and use it all over the shop.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  8. Diablo

Diablo New Member

If you need a dremel for other things I would go with the Dremel brand, I got mine off craigslist in a case for 15 bucks

9. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i dont have access to a shop anymore since i am done with high school. a cutoff wheel would be too risky. the smallest one i could find was too big. i have a 2000 jeep cherokee xj. i think i am just going to get a dremel brand because i want it to last. it would be hard to unbolt the doors because i dont think i could get a ratchet in there. hopefully dremel goes on sale around here in the next week or so.