CV shaft repairs

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by Redneck_ranger, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Alright, so Brinker88 said I needed a CV shaft or joint....whatever is on the front driveshaft at the transfer case. Are they hard to fix? Or can I do it myself on a Friday night? I really want to have the truck running for the Jersey meet Saturday, but at this rate it doesn't seem like it's gonna happen. :( Anyone ever have to replace it before? Would I be able to pull one out of a junk yard too, or would I be better off new?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

4. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Can we just designate one thread as Petes broken parts?

5. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

May as well. Maybe I can finally convince my mom to let me sell it, then I won't need to put these threads up as often....

6. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

^ hahahaa good idea. maybe even his own sub-forum ;P

7. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Yeah... might as well go ahead and make me my own god damn topic then... I went from it being a $10, 35 min repair to being a $130, god only knows how many minute repair...

8. ob269

ob269 New Member

Dude.. I have literally done it 4 times in a month(3 times on one side cause advance auto gave me a ****ed up one the first time, and gave me the drivers side when I needed the passengers side, I go to napa from now on lol..
    But its 55-65 bucks after you get your core charge back..
    And I can literally have my trucks done in a half hour and back in the road..

9. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

It's not the CV axle coming from the front diff bro. There's a CV Joint on the driveshaft right after the transfer case

10. ob269

ob269 New Member

Ps. It is called the cv axle shaft..
    On my 98 it goes as follows:
    Take wheel off..
    Take brake caliper off
    Take off black 4x4 cap thing
    Take out the two stupid fukcing snap rings
    Undo ball joint to let the hub move easier
    Undo 2 shock bolts at bottom
    Pull out axle unit
    Repeat in reverse..

11. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

I have brand new CV axles. Look at the link above man.

12. ob269

ob269 New Member

Oh. Then ignore my previous post lol..

13. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

It's all good man. I didn't know there even was a CV joint on the driveshaft.

14. ob269

ob269 New Member

Makes sense..
    I belive cv stands for continuously variable. Like a cvt on a snowmobile.. continuously variable transmission..

15. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Close. Constant Velocity. Meaning it's always moving when the truck is moving. idk why they call it that because the two words make no sense in the way they're trying to say, but that's what it said on the box when I bought the axles from Summit

16. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

come up here and ill help you fix it, i have plenty of tools, and redneck car lift

17. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Not even plausible dude

18. hazard-maine

why not? i got everything here

19. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Gas alone would kill me... I'd be better off taking it to a garage

20. hazard-maine

thats okay, and i wont charge anything here

21. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

Turns out that I need the entire front driveshaft to be replaced in order to have that CV joint fixed. Looks like I'll be running to the junk yard soon....