Coolant leak

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by mcdonald58, Dec 29, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

So this morning when I went to top off my transmission fluid I noticed a puddle of coolant forming under the truck. It was pretty big about 3 drips a second. I found exactly where it's coming from though. It's a little black cylinder shaped thing coming off my hoses. Here's a picture of it. What is this piece and how hard is it to fix? View attachment 1737

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

It may be a PCV valve but I'm not sure. It is a plug in piece and they are a breeze to take off. Pinch the metal fasteners, move them back on the lines then pull that piece out and replace it. If you arent sure what it is have a mechanic or a dealer help identify it

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright thanks that dosent seem to hard to replace. ill get a better picture of it tomorrow. i didnt want to stick my hand down there with my engine hot.

5. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

its a coolant bypass valve i believe and as hooligan said just move the clamps pull it out replace it and clamps and top off coolant and your done......

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

Is the coolant bypass valve the same as the pcv? When I searched on advance auto I found a pcv that looks like the part but didn't find a coolant bypass valve.

7. Diablo

Diablo New Member

no a pcv valve is not the same thing as a coolant by-pass valve
    the pcv valve will connect to the valve cover by way of a hose or screws directly into it

8. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve

When doing the Coolant Valve replace all of the clamps and check the ends of the hoses that attach to it.
    The ends of the hoses will crack or the clamps will get weak without really showing more than slight leakage or weeping.

Also, test,your coolant before starting, if good keep it but if not good or getting to the bad side just replace that too and last thing, has the heat been as hot as when new, if not another thing to replaced is the thermostat. Since the coolant is already drained it might be a good time for all of this stuff.

Always seems these valves are in the worst location, good luck.
    I hear it is getting cold up there so I hope someone has a shop for you to use.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012