charging system problem

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by joedell, May 23, 2009.

1. joedell

joedell New Member

new battery slowing dying
    new batt. fully charged (1275 on hydrometer) 1 month later, (1250)
    disconnected batt. charged for 2 hrs. (1250) this is the 3rd battery in 8 months.
    checked for ground with batt. disconnected. ohm meter reads ground in milli ohms and you can watch the resistance click down to zero. wait a minute, do it again and the same thing happens. pulled the 3 wire plug from the alternator and the ground cleared.
    Read the ohms off the plug wires, g/r wire .720 milli ohms, bk/w and y wires read zero ohms.
    Readings off the alternator socket reads g/r 1.49 k-ohms, bk/w 1.00-k ohms and the y 50-k ohms
    Where do I go from here??????????

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. olschool

olschool New Member

I assume your alternator is working right?

I thought a lot of shops should be able to tell what is draining your battery...

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  4. OP
    joedell

joedell New Member

thanks but there isn't any fun in that.