cb radio antenna

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mcdonald58, Mar 31, 2013.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

my brother just found his old cb radio and is going to give it to me to put it in my jeep. i was wondering what brand of antenna im going to get. i think im going to get a 4 foot fire stick not sure thought since i have no experience in cb radios. i also plan on getting a pa speaker.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. FireFighter431

FireFighter431 RedNeck

Firestik gets my vote.

4. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

I like the FirestikII for it's tunable tip and relatively low cost...'cause I replace them every few years because the insulation gets beats up from drive throughs and what not. I run a 5' FirestikII & Firestik HD Spring on a shortened 99+ Super Duty bracket. I do realize this is for your Jeep though.

BUT....always remember, your setup isn't jack squat if you don't have a decent antenna and ESPECIALLY the antenna and bracket grounding. I always suggest using an antenna stud and crimp on coax.

Have you thought about where you're going to put the antenna? Don't forget your HD spring. Don't wanna snap that antenna in half! lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't use the little bolt that's meant for the ground....it's better to ground to the stud itself like in the diagram and the above photo. Also, if you've got exposed copper strands like what's shown below, use that Liquid Tape electrical tape goop stuff to protect it. I later did that.
    [​IMG]

5. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

thanks for the diagram that helps a lot since i have never set one up. i plan on putting the cb on the center console and then the antenna on the top tail light bolt with a custom made bracket extending it out to the side of the hatch. that way i can take it off easily with no permanent modifications to my jeep. i think ill use 5/16th metal for the bracket. i think itll be thick enough to fit between the hatch but not to thick. i plan on getting a 3-4 foot firestik but im not sure till i get my jeep and do some measurements.

6. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

I'm glad you dug the extra info... I tend to touch alot of bases when replying on a subject I know about.

5/16" material is HUGE for an antenna bracket. If anything, go 1/8" thick material to make it from. That makes it easy to manipulate with a MAPP gas torch or however you planned to bend it and whatnot. Plus, material might be free to you if you've got access to a scrap bin!

I've seen folks use the spare carrier hardware on the tailgate. It's a strong spot and the bolts are long enough to add an antenna bracket. Not to mention, the end result will be pretty darn clean looking. Then again, I may just be thinking of YJ's and TJ's. IDK what Jeep you're working on.

7. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

im looking for a jeep cherokee sport. about the material thickness i mistyped i meant 3/16" i went to lowes today and looked at metal. i think ill use 18th" it seems like the best balance between thickness and flexibility. i found pieces for around 10 bucks ill look in the scrap bin at my school before buying anything though. i plan on bending the metal at a 90 degree angle at the end of the metal then weld a piecce of metal into the gap where the antenna will bolt though.

8. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

i have a Tram brand one that mounted on the fender i ran in my older trucks. worked awesome!

9. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

kinda bad pic but all i had
    [​IMG]

10. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I could start on mounting the antenna BUT I won't except...
    Ground the antenna mount, all the way to the frame if possible, don't depend on fender mounting bolts or door hinges, etc.
    As FX4wannbe01 mentioned use the standard ring lugs for attaching the coax at the antenna stud, they are closer to a 50 ohm match than any other CB Antenna connection except an "N" or BNC Connector.
    Last but the most important get the antenna tune for low SWR.
    Oh ya, buy good quality coax, Belden RG59U is good, RG 8X is better and do not buy Rat Shaq coax it is cheap.

Enough said, good luck on the install.
    Once done let us know how it is working out.

OK another LAST thing...
    FireStix is good, K40 is ok but to me the best standard CB Antenna is made by Wilson Electronics

11. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

mcdonald58,

Did you get it done ?

12. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i went to lowes and got 4 feet of 1/8ths metal. i forget the width but i think its 1 inch. my brother found a 2 ft cb antenna that he didnt want anymore so he gave it to me. it sticks up about 3 inches above my jeep. do you guys think i need a spring with it only sticking that far up. i plan on getting a 3 ft one eventually. im going to custom make a mount that bolts to my tail light. thanks again for the diagram fx4 im going to use that tonight to get all the bolts and washers i need.

13. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

yeah i would put a spring on it, you never know what it'll hit and break off!

14. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i got my hardware that i need thanks to fx4 at tractor supply. i figured out that i need a 12 ft coax cable. hopefully ill get my mount fabbed up tomorrow in the shop.