Calipers

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by DPG3, Aug 20, 2012.

1. DPG3

DPG3 Member

I need to rebuild my front calipers on my 04 ranger edge. Anyone know where i can get a kit? I tried autozone and pepboys, neither of them had it.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    DPG3

DPG3 Member

found them at autopartswearhouse

4. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Have you rebuilt Calipers before ?

Just wondering, not hard but attention to some details is a good thing.

What is the cost difference between the Rebuild Kits and new Pads and new Calipers with Pads ?

ltr

5. OP
    DPG3

DPG3 Member

when i did mine it was my first time. it was $30ish for the rebuild kit. new calipers were like over 100 for one. new pads are a must when they are worn out. i just get oem equalivant. make sure if your going to put new pads you get your rotors turned.

from what i can tell, only one piston was moving. i looked at the pad and the upper part was gone while the lower one had a ton of life left. always good to rebuild your calipers or replace them if you have dual piston or more. the truck stops better too.

6. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Yes, new calipers will cost more but if you don’t have to do it again and it should be done right, then the cost is sometimes justified.

Ok if you have done the rebuild before and you are mechanically inclined but just faster and easier to but loaded calipers and get’r done.

As posted make sure to get the rotors turned.

luck with the project.

7. OP
    DPG3

DPG3 Member

when i learned i had a teacher there showing me what to do. if you dont know how to do it i suggest buying new calipers. its safer. if you mess up, you can make it so the brake fluid leaks out where the piston is and that whole caliper wont work. actually i think both front brakes wont work depending on what kinda car you have.