brake line replacement

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by SeanL, Dec 18, 2011.

1. SeanL

SeanL New Member

So I jump in my 2.5l 99 and no brakes, but I managed to not hit my stang, phew. The steel line on the drivers side is nothing but chunks of rust, and the fluid was spraying out all over the drive shaft a few inches before the brake hose connection. Will it be easier to just replace the entire line from the engine back and what size do I need? I have searched and read that I might need to flare some tube I can just buy, but they were guessing on the size. I want to be fully prepared and get this thing done all in one go since it is supposed to snow this weekend and my work takes a lot of time. Thanks for any help!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

i would say go to napa and get all new lines. just take off your line from the conectors and take it in with you. the line should just go up to the brake pump i would think.

4. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Is it the one that goes the whole length of the vehicle on the driver side? I.E from the ABS proportioning valve to the rubber hose on the rear axle? If so, yes it's a lot easier to replace. You'll need about 11 feet of it (two 6 ft pieces of 3/16 line with a 1/4" adapter)

5. Captured Time

Captured Time watch this and hold on

this guy knows his stuff^^^^

6. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

This.. On my truck however I was able to form One solid line and snake it from rear axel rubber line to block near the drivers door.

7. Brinker88

Been there done that numerous times on numerous rangers :thumbup:

8. OP
    SeanL

SeanL New Member

Nice, thanks everyone. I imagine I have to buy a flaring tool. But do I also need a bending tool or does the line usually not crush on you when you bend it, within reason of course. I have to get a bleeder tool too, I suppose. I just hope the hoses don't fall apart on me when I disconnect them. And yes, it is the line going all the way up front.

Thanks

9. Brinker88

You dont need a flaring tool or a bleeder tool if you replace the whole line and have a freind help you bleed it. As with all our rangers, we have proportioning valves, so you only have to bleed the rear of the truck when you only have air in the rear.

Have a buddy get in the cab of the truck (take the cap off your MC). You get under the truck. When you get the bleeders loose yell "open" and have him push the pedal to the floor and HOLD IT THERE until you close the bleeder valve back up. Repeat until no bubbles come out and a solid stream of fluid comes out. Keep checking the MC's fluid level.