battery light stays illuminated on instrument gauge cluster...

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by seanagins, Dec 19, 2018.

1. seanagins

seanagins New Member

hello,
    I'm sure this has been posted before, but I did a quick search before posting and couldn't find a post with the problem I am experiencing. I replaced the belt idler pulley due to it making noise and the bearings feeling rough when pulley was free spun (belt off). After replacing the idler pulley and putting everything back together the battery light illuminated and stayed on (it still is on or stays illuminated). I tested the battery and it failed. Replaced the battery with a Sam's Club Duracell 58 (group size) battery. The battery light still didn't go off. So I drove to O'Reilly Auto Parts and Autozone to have them test the charging system. Their tests indicated that my charging system passed. I went home and took off the alternator to get it bench tested. The bench test was performed twice and the alternator PASSED. Any ideas?? Please help. Thanks in advance.

P.S. This is on a 1997 Ford Ranger XLT (extended cab) with the 4.0liter V6. Feel free to ask any questions. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OldTimer

OldTimer New Member

The 4.0 OHV! Same engine I've got in my 94, you've probably got an old 3g 95amp alternator, look at the smaller wire connections, the single wire gray connector controls your battery light, I'll bet there's a break in that wire somewhere, but 1st things first check what voltage your alt is putting out ideally it'll be 14.5, I've seen it drop to 13.0 and up to 14.7, overcharging or undercharging will set your light. Those alt are pretty easy to rebuild, do a search for 'rebuilderinabox', starters and alternators are pretty cool to repair and watch them work again!