Annoying rattle!

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Fourwheelford, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Fourwheelford

Fourwheelford New Member

Hi everyone, I just bought a 2000 ranger XLT extended cab with the 3.0 v6, 4 speed manual, 98,000 miles and a 4 inch lift. So far I have done an oil change and new plugs and wires but I have a noise that is driving me nuts. I have eliminated engine noise as the culprit, it kind of sounds like a chain dragging on the ground or a bearing rolling around in a tin can. I have shaken everything that I can under the truck and have not found anything loose, thats including all available heatshields. It occurs while driving and stops when I stop I know its not the motor because I can take the truck out of gear while doing about 30 MPH and the sound just stays the same until I roll to a stop. The plugs all looked good(old but good) and the oil was old but free of debris. If anyone has any input im glad to hear it, thanks in advance:)

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Jon

Jon Administrator

Welcome to the site!

4. Rangerak

Rangerak New Member

Is it 4X drive? Does it have exposed front axles with CV joints in the front? If it does it could be a CV joint. I am not positive but I think that set up began in 2001. If you have the older kind like I had on my 94 one of the front axles is semi enclosed in the extended differential housing with u-joint in the right front axle. My 94 did that but I had to have the manual locking hubs engaged turning the front axle to make the noise until it got to the point where I had to fix it or have a major breakdown on the road somewhere. That was a xxx*#& +@ ! to fix. I hope this helps. Do you have a manual for this truck? Chilton's or Hayne's? They might help point you in the right direction.
    R

5. OP
    Fourwheelford

Fourwheelford New Member

Thanks for the reply, it does have exposed cv joints but the boots look good and both sides, I may just have to grease em up though. I do think I figured it out though, I did some poking around and got the truck up in the air and realized the drivers side wheel bearing is pretty dry and that is most likely what im hearing. Also realized that one of the arms on the passenger side was not tightened down when the alignment was done so now I have to pay to have an alignment done :( I just need to crawl around under it some more to check for more stuff.