ABS and Brake light on

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Shawn_S, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Shawn_S

Shawn_S New Member

got a 1998 Ford Ranger XLT and the ABS and Brake light keep coming on. Brakes don't seem bad but they don't seem perfect either. I purchased an ABS sensor for the rear differential from ebay. Installed it and drove it hard for 10 minutes. Lights didn't come on and brakes seemed fine. Parked it, and got back in it and drove down the road. When I hit 55, and each time I hit 55, the speedometer goes crazy. It drops down to zero, hops back up to 20, drops to zero, hops back up to 55, and it feels like its going to stall. It was a scary ride. I go home and I replace the new sensor with the old one, and everything is back to the way it is, with the ABS light and the Brake light coming on when I step on the brakes hard. So does this mean the back sensor is fine and one of my front sensors needs replaced? I don't want to guess again.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    Shawn_S

Shawn_S New Member

And why wouldn't the truck drive fine with the new ABS sensor on the rear? It is the correct one for that model.

4. l. dunn

l. dunn New Member

i'm having the same problem with my 2000 xl 3.0 flex fuel..i dont have the speedometer problem. my abs and break light comes on and break pedal goes way down when i hold it down..no fluid loss..i did hear that it is a faulty abs valve..i cant find a abs valve on mine..im lost

5. Tom Autry

Tom Autry New Member

Sounds more like a Master Cyl Malfunction to me !