A/C Refill from Scratch.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by What Now?, Jul 22, 2010.

1. What Now?

What Now? New Member

We have an '85 3L Extended cab Ranger. Last year our A/C compressor packed up but I was able to get an identical one from a Mustang. Well, identical physical dimensions. Having replaced it, I lost the complete refrigerant charge, of course.

My questions are:

1. What would be the best "over the counter" refrigerant to use? One store sells Red Tek 12a.

2. After losing my complete charge, would I have to consider adding oil to the system now?

3. Do I have to create some vacuum before attempting to fill the system?

4. Lastly, should I do a pressure check to see if it's going to hold gas before buying some and how would I do this.

Thanks very much for any help or references to previous threads.

What Now?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. unless you have a vacuum pump and gauges, your best bet would be to take to a small a/c shop they will generally charge about 120.00 bucks
    thats what I was charged when I installed a new compressor, as I did not have the pump also you should buy a new drier, the shop should have those

good luck, may want to convert to R134A since R12 is a thing of the past now days

AH, another old post got me again lol

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011