94 ranger 4.0 hesitation problems

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by 94DangerRanger, Jun 28, 2011.

1. 94DangerRanger

94DangerRanger New Member

Hello, having problems with my grandfathers 94 ranger with the 4.0 v6. When your trying to accelerate around 1/4 to 3/4 throttle it hesitates real bad like it has no power. If you take of easy like under 1/4 throttle it seems to be ok. Also, if its hesitating and you go over 3/4 throttle it picks up power all the sudden takes off like its fine. I tried cleaning the MAF sensor (didnt seem dirty at all but tried it anyway) and the fuel filter has also recently been changed. I was starting to think maybe the TPS sensor, but im not sure. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Try checking or changing the coil packs, wires and plugs

4. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Almost sounds like the TPS or an EGR...they have a tendancy to do that. Also like holligan said, try doing a tuneup with wires, plugs (autolite double platinums) and a pcv valve

5. OP
    94DangerRanger

The plugs and wires were done no longer then 5-7k miles ago. Looks like it has a single "coil pack". I dont think its ever been changed. Wanna be sure tho before I start just replacing stuff.

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Can you get a used one fron a yard? I went through the same thing, dumped a thousand dollars trouble shooting it and it was a bad coil pack. Try a used one see if that will correct it

7. OP
    94DangerRanger

Well I changed the coil and still does the same thing. Just feels like it has no power between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle. Seems to do it worse when its cold or after you first start it up.

8. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Did you replace the plugs and wires?

9. OP
    94DangerRanger

Yeah they were changed like 6k ago. Problem seems to be worse when cold. After it warmed up it ran good. Then i shut it off, went into the parts store, came out started it back up and it ran like **** the whole when home even warmed up.

10. OP
    94DangerRanger

Also, it does pop a CEL on every once in a while. Is there a way to check to code with a scan tool? My grandfather said the light would come on and off before it had the problem but I would still like to check it to make sure.

11. EricFi1

EricFi1 New Member

I'd check fuel pump pressure.
    there is a way to check the code with and without a scantool. you'd need an analog volt meter.