90 Ranger with a rough idle

Discussion in '1989 - 1992 Ford Ranger' started by jpz, May 17, 2009.

1. jpz

jpz New Member

Hey guys. I'm new here and I'm having a problem with my truck. it's 90 Ranger 2wd with a 4.0.

Recently it started having a very rough idle. It sounds and smells rich. I've ran a code scan and it comes up that everything is fine.

I'm stuck as to what could be the problem. I just replaced the plugs and that didn't help. I'm wondering, could I have a bad injector or two? Or, could this be a sign that the timing chain is worn and needs to be replaced? The truck has 265,000 miles on.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

jpz

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bill

Bill New Member

Thank you, in reading the thread got to 265K miles and started laughing. Guess you like your truck? Two ideas, 1st is to check for vacuum leaks, vacuum leaks are more noticeable at idle but have little effect at higher RPM's. 2nd, would be to take a compression reading on the engine. Perhaps at this mileage its getting tired.

4. OP
    jpz

jpz New Member

Yes I love my truck. She's been a good girl so far. That mileage is the original engine and tranny. And believe it or not, all of the original accessories other than A/C compressor. Any way, I have checked for vacuum leaks, but I will check again. I'm really hoping it's a simple fix. Hate to give up on the old girl because she's idling rough.

I'm also due for an oil change, maybe I'll try Restore. Never been a big fan of additives, but I'll give it a shot.