4x4 Diff. fluid, how often should it be changed?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by buggman, Feb 15, 2011.

1. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

As the title says, how often should the diff fluid be changed?

I've had my 96 4x4 since about 98 and I've never even thought about checking the fluid before.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

if you go by the manual it says check every 3 months and change every 12 if it needs it. they say to change it every 15000 miles. it just depends on how you drive it. if it's a dd you may never need to change it. if you go muddin alot then you may need to change it ooner. the only thing i would say to be aware of is taking the plugs out too much you could end up wearing the threads out and causing it to leak.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  4. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

^ agree, if you go offroading often invest in a mac/ ford racing dif cover..it has a drain plug and a new fill plug.

5. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

my 98 has a fill plug in the diff. cant remember if it has a drain one in it as well.

6. OP
    buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

The only time my truck goes offroad is when somebody is blocking the driveway & I have to drive thru the grass :whistling:

I guess it's about time I get it changed... I'm pushing 60k and I need to get the wheel bearings changed too.

7. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i changed mine last year and it was pretty nasty. i've had my truck about 3 yrs and its got 166k on it not sure if they ever changed it before i bought it.

8. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

Wheel bearings are cake, thats if you can break the bolts free lol

9. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

changing the diff lube is cake as well... if you dont have the fill plug just take a gallon size frezzer bag fill it with gear lube and throw bag and all in there... the plastic wont hurt a thing