2007 Motor swap question transmission compatability

Discussion in '2.3 Engine' started by stRanger, Feb 15, 2012.

1. stRanger

stRanger New Member

Newbie needs help. I own a 2007 Ranger with the 2.3L 4 cylinder engine and it has a manual transmission. Are there any problems putting in a salvaged motor from a 2011 Ranger, same size engine, but automatic transmission?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

You'll need the transmission crossmember and driveshaft and Computer/wiring for the transmission.

4. OP
    stRanger

stRanger New Member

Thanks for the reply, and please forgive my lack of knowledge, but would I not be able to use the existing crossmember, driveshaft and wiring? To be clear I have no intentions of swapping the transmission just the motor. BTW to give you an idea of my lack of knowledge, I have no idea of what a crossmember is, i have heard of a driveshaft. The engine swap will not be done by me of course.:sweatdrop::sweatdrop:

5. Brinker88

Ah I read that the opposite way around. Everything should just bolt right on.

6. OP
    stRanger

stRanger New Member

Great. I was hoping the motors were the same, and didn't want to shuck out $800 only to find out that I needed to buy a motor salvaged from a truck with the same transmission. Thanks for your response Brinker88!

7. Brinker88

You're welcome!...good luck with the swap. Oh and when you grab the engine, grab ALL the wiring you can INCLUDING the Computer.

8. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

I did something similar with my truck a few years back.... 2001 4.0 manual that had the imfamous timing chain slap/rattle from 40k to 110k. Explored my options....replace chains/guides/tensioners at a shop for $1500...replace engine myself with low-mile junkyard engine(found a '06 w/ auto engine with 1,000 on the clock for $1000. It was worth the 200mi drive and mini vaca to go get it). My choice was a no-brainer. I'm basing my suggestions on my experience with my similar in nature swap.

Since you're just swapping the engine, the trans you have and the engine donor truck has isn't much of a concern except in the engine wiring harness department. You'll need to run your factory harness. There may be some sensor pigtail differences like mine, so be sure to get your engine with the engine harness just in case. Most newer yard engines automatically come with the harness. You DO NOT need the 2011 PCM, you can use your factory one. Most yards that have late model cars in their yards, have pretty darn good computer interchange systems and parts networks. It could probably bring up this 2011 2.3 engine in a 2007 2.3 search.

I suggest getting ahold of a factory wiring diagram book for both years or at minimum, copies from one. It helped my swap quite a bit while I was making the mistake of trying to make the '06 auto harness work on my '01 manual....needless to say, I couldn't confuse the PCM and I regret that but I learned to fall in love with soldering! Made one perfect harness out of two partial harnesses. haha.

I know my info may be a little overkill for you since you will not be doing the swap yourself, but too much info in this case, is still good info. lol. On such a new truck being a 2007, why is there the need for the swap?

9. OP
    stRanger

stRanger New Member

A former employee was given the use of the truck as a drive home vehicle with the agreement that he would take care of the basic maintenance of the truck. Ummm the basic maintenance never was taken care of as agreed.:furious: Running a motor without oil has consequences. It can cause you to lose your job.

10. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

OUTCH! Indeed it would! But I don't blame you one bit for what you had to do! lol.